RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Slow connection to console

geek-accountant

Nothing new, it has been this way since the start of my WHS and is the same on every computer connected. I am hoping this is something everyone experiences and is just a part of WHS rather than something wrong on my end.

What happens is you pull up the WHS console to log in, type the password, hope it doesn't give you the "wrong password" error, then wait 10-20 seconds while it appears to do nothing before starting the connection process, which takes another 10-20 seconds.

My question is for those of you trying Vail. Has the connection process been improved or is it just as slow as WHS v1? I would also say the WHS v1 console is not the quickest of programs when navigating around. Has this improved with Vail?

Well thats to bad. Is it any quicker once it is loaded, compared to WHS v1?

In my experience the slowness is directly related to the server. I used to have a pentium 4 for my server and it was slow to connect. Once I upgraded to a quad core I would no longer say it was slow (usually connects within 5 seconds) and then with the i7 it is even faster.

First off, I should say that my MSS isn't that bad, as far as Console load times are concerned. Sure, sometimes it takes about 15-25 seconds to load. But I just now tried it and it came up in about 3-4 seconds! Likewise, navigating around Console is also faster at times than others.

Mike, do you have a lot of add-ins? I mean, could that be why your console is slow to load? Just curious.

I have a dual core AMD 2.6ghz (I think) with 4gig of ram, do you think that is my issue? I didn't think so since the CPU is usually well under 50%.

I don't have lots of add-ins. I have Disk Managment, My Movies, Avast and maybe one other.

That's a pretty decent system. Plenty of power. No issue there. I only have 2 GB of ram.

I have 8 add-ins, but no AV. Maybe that's the problem?

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, the slower the box, the slower the console. Check cpu usage when you launch. I have an AMD x2 250 and it takes a few seconds. My original LX197 was slow as a wet week.

CPU usage is pretty low especially since I removed the Index service. The CPU is a AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400 which should be plenty. I guess I need to time it to put "slow" in perspective. Maybe it is just my impression.

Mike