RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS v1 - Removing Drive from Drive Pool

AussiePaul

Hi Guys/Girls,

I have been ruinning WHS V1 for a while now and have a number of drives in my drive pool. A couple of them are starting to report SMART errors so I am replacing them.

How long should it take to copy/empty 2TB of data from a drive that I want to remove? I started this morning at around 8am and it is now 6pm and the status bar hasnt move much since earlier this morning and almost appears as if it is not responding.

Any ideas on what may be my issue or what my next step should be?

Thanks

Depending on ... well a bunch of factors....

Like the controller they're attached to. The files in use. The size of the files, and the number of them. The speed of the disks.

Do you have Disk Management for WHS or StableBit Scanner installed on your machine? 

If so, you can monitor the actual speed of the disk removal.

But to be blunt, Drive Extender on WHSv1 is incredibly slow (~20-30MB/s average). And messing with the file layout is a sure way to screw up the storage pool. But if you are very intent on doing it... there are ways.

Okay, so rough math says that it could take around 18 hours to do so?

If that is the case I will let it continue overnight and see what it looks like in the morning.

I will report back andf let you know how it is going.

Cheers,

Paul

Well, it looks like the Home Server COnsole crashed and would not restart so I had to reboot. Now the drive I was removing appears in the "Not Added" list along with where it was originally...... trying to remove it again.

Hmmm, if you are just using drive extender (the default disk management software in V1) and you see a drive as being "not added" it has been removed and you can replace it with a new drive and add that to the DE pool.

@Renny, from what he has said, it looks like the drive has appeared both places.

And this is one of the reasons I was never happy with WHSv1. If something goes wrong, you can't just "move" the files around, without causing serious issues.

Yeah, the drive appears in both places,the pool and the not added list.

The removal is still underway. Progressing, but painfully slowly.

Should I look at upgrading to WHS 2011 after I get these disk issues resolved? I really like the convenience of the drive extender in WHSv1, but if it has inherrant problems I could be easily persuaded to switch.

• 2 weeks later...

We all lamented, and chastised MS, for dumping DE, but the truth is it had issues. WHS2011 doesn't have duplication like v1 did, but that is easily and, IMHO, more reliably replaced by using one of the drive pooling programs out there, such as DrivePool, DriveBender, PoolHD, flexRAID, etc.

So, yes, I would move to WHS2011. Another major advantage, again IMHO, to WHS2011 is that it's actually possible to back up the server (OS) itself, something WHSv1 could not do (I recall how shocked I was when I discovered that).

• 3 weeks later...

I use DE as the first line of defense, but use the non-pooled drive shares backup just to make sure I don't lose data.

If I run out of space on the servers 2tb drives, I will turn DE off and just make sure the non-pooled are kept up to date.

But I also synctoy all the shares to a backup server every 3 days just to make sure.

DE is a great idea, but trying to move say 2tb of movies, well, ya, it's going to be a stretch.