RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

system restore help needed

robertbailey

Hi all

I need some help with the following.

I upgraded the os disc to a 250gb sata disc, when i reinstall i get the option to either restore or clean install so i select restore.

Now it states that i will lose all non duplicated data of which i have none so i click go

It now says formatting system volume but after about 10 mins it appears to be less than 1\4 of the way finished formatting.

So would this appear correct i thought a couple of minutes to format a 250Gb drive or am i missing something [ don't want it formatting the data drives ]

Thanks

Robert

You didn't say what type of system you have, but it can definitely take a while to do a system restore.

How many drives with data do you have in your pool?

Check after a couple of hours...

Hmm, you say you upgraded the system drive, remember that will also loose the PC backups unless you used the BDBB addin to backup those PC backups, like the shares, you have to have doubles of everything if you are replaceing the system drive. Then it's a matter of reinstalling a fresh copy of the OS. You will have to recreate the users, but the files for the users should show up once they are created.

Also depending on how dated your WHS version is, it will take a long time to download the updates. Remember you need to unistall the connector software before you begin or else the OS restore will not complete successfully. The connector software must be installed to finalise the installation by installing the Console and give you access to the shares.

Thanks everyone

At the moment i don't have any backups and i have a monitor\keyboard set up beside the whs in a cupboard..
The reason for asking the question is mainly regarding the formatting of the system volume.

Is this the formatting of the new os drive before installing whs or does it mean formatting the data drives ?

Thanks
Robert

Sorry forgot to say i have 4tb of data drives approx 85% full, and its on a home built system with 4gb ram and a q6600 cpu running at 3.0ghz
Robert

If you have have that much stored, and their is data on the primary drive, you may loose that as well. How many drives in your system?

Thanks all.

I have the old 160Gb o\s drive that would only include the o\s, as i used drive balancer a few days before this so i hope i can rule out any data on that one.

As for the data drives i have 1 x 2Tb, 1 x 1Tb 2 x 500Gb drives and these were all balanced at the same time as the o\s drive and were around about 85% full on each drive.

I have all folders duplicated and no Pc backups that i need saved.

I was worried about the time taken when it comes up as formatting the system drive i thought it would come up as formatting new o\s drive or something similar.
Will give this another day before i do anything else as i am in no hurry to rebuild and then a post comes up with different info.

Thanks

Robert