RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
LoneWolf

HP Microserver Gen8 Processor FAQ

syner

Hi all,

I just recently got a MicroServer Gen 8.  So far I'll have done is add in a 256 GB SSD in the optical drive bay.  I'm running an ESXi host, but would like a processor with Vt-d if possible.. I would like to run open media vault, freenas or something similar and pass through my drives (yet to add) to the VM and run software RAID.  From the quick reading I've done, you can use raw device mapping, but it's not recommended.

I'm in Australia, and finding it difficult to locate any of the Xeon E3 processors locally or abroad.  The only one that seems easy to get and cheap is the Xeon E3-1230 v2, but I'm worried about the heat -- especially when I start filling up the HDD bays.  Can I just stick with this processor and look at increase to maximum cooling (I know it's a passive heatsink, but still..), possibly disable 2 cores?

Not sure what my options are.  Even happy to try one of the active heatsink/fan combos I've seen a couple of people use on here, but would prefer something that doesn't require modding.  I'm awkward enough replacing a CPU and heatsink, let alone messing around with modding.

I don't expect the machine to be under a high load at all, but just really cautious about going for a higher TDP processor.  I'm wondering if I should pay the extra or not for a lower TDP processor and possibly even use a mail forwarder if I have to go overseas.

Cheers

Edited by syner

Trig0r

The E3-1230 v2 is a 69w CPU so you'd have to sort something out on the cooling front even if you knocked off boost etc.

There's a few threads on here already about guys that have gone down the active cooling route and posted findings.

syner

Thanks.. I think for now I might just wait a little and hope I can pick up one of the lower TDP E3-xxxxL V2 processors.  They seem to be impossible to find at the moment though (I guess they're discontinued), and quite expensive.  Worst case I might have to go for the E3-1230 v2 and investigate active cooling.

tangcla

Thanks.. I think for now I might just wait a little and hope I can pick up one of the lower TDP E3-xxxxL V2 processors. They seem to be impossible to find at the moment though (I guess they're discontinued), and quite expensive. Worst case I might have to go for the E3-1230 v2 and investigate active cooling.

I'm in Australia too - they're quite hard to come by in Australia but expand your search to USA and UK, you'll get one (shame about the AUD though!)

Just gotta be patient. I got mine out of USA.

• Like 1

syner

I'm in Australia too - they're quite hard to come by in Australia but expand your search to USA and UK, you'll get one (shame about the AUD though!)

Just gotta be patient. I got mine out of USA.

Thanks for the advice.  I've look around elsewhere and also having difficulties finding them overseas.  Which one did you end up getting?  I was going to wait, but my concern is that they're discontinued so vendors won't restock.

It looks like Amazon is due to restock the Xeon E3-1265L v2 in the beginning of April, so I might just try there and use a mail forwarder.. Or maybe depending on exchange rate, try a European vendor.

Looking at the price of the E3-1265L v2 when you factor in exchange rate, plus having to probably use a mail forwarding service, it would be cheaper to just buy another Microserver and use that purely as a NAS, and keep my existing one for homelab stuff.

Edited by syner

tangcla

Thanks for the advice. I've look around elsewhere and also having difficulties finding them overseas. Which one did you end up getting? I was going to wait, but my concern is that they're discontinued so vendors won't restock.

I've got the E3-1260L.

Harroguk

Thanks for the advice.  I've look around elsewhere and also having difficulties finding them overseas.  Which one did you end up getting?  I was going to wait, but my concern is that they're discontinued so vendors won't restock.

It looks like Amazon is due to restock the Xeon E3-1265L v2 in the beginning of April, so I might just try there and use a mail forwarder.. Or maybe depending on exchange rate, try a European vendor.

Looking at the price of the E3-1265L v2 when you factor in exchange rate, plus having to probably use a mail forwarding service, it would be cheaper to just buy another Microserver and use that purely as a NAS, and keep my existing one for homelab stuff.

Buying from Amazon.co.uk when you are outside the EU means you dont pay Tax.

This means that it will be sold at a 20% discount on checkout. This was more than enough to make it cheaper to by from these (assuming you can find a vendor shipping to you) and ship to Singapore. In the end I paid 200GBP (including shipping) for the processor  (E3-1265L v2) from Intel through Amazon.co.uk

Trig0r

Nice, not paying VAT is always a bonus :D