RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP Microserver Gen8 Processor FAQ

LoneWolf

7 hours ago, bar1 said:

Hi everyone!

Very quiet here,,, are people still using the gen 8?

been thinking of adding something like this to my server?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001437401214.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.19454c4dkX0KLk

Will the motherboard be able to see all 4 drives individually??

This will not work in the MS Gen8. This type of card requires that the x16 PCIe slot that it is plugged into can be bifurcated into four x4 PCIe slots. The MS Gen8 does not support that.

You could try a card like this that has a PCIe bus controller/switch on it:

https://www.startech.com/HDD/Adapters/m2-pcie-ssd-adapter~PEX8M2E2

Addonics Converter / Adapter-Dual NVMe PCIe adapter (Model: AD2M2NVMPX8)

http://www.ableconn.com/products_2.php?gid=143

DT-130 (lycom.com.tw)

These all appear to be the same card. They should work in the MS Gen8, but you will not be able to boot from it as the MS Gen8 is not UEFI BIOS.

2 hours ago, bar1 said:

ok thats very expensive so i will skip it....

so what will happen if i plug something like that in?will it only see 1 drive?

Best case it would just see one drive. Worse case the system would lock up with PCIe bus issues.

If you want to add a single NVMe drive there are lots of single NVMe device boards you could use. 

Hey All, 

Have been trawling through this thread looking for some advice on my recently purchased Gen 8 for £50 and I too couldn't believe my eyes when it popped up for sale. 

Specs below:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3240 CPU @ 3.40GHz
4GB ECC 1600Mhz RAM
X4 WD Red 6TB (Added after purchase)
65W Heat sink

I've upgraded all the firmware, purchased a iLO licence and now looking to put it into production which will be a UnRaid Server running dockers for Plex and a VM that will be a Photo editing VM for my wife to edit in Photoshop/Lightroom. I also want to be able to play 4K content off it, but I don't think my Samsung TV/FireStick supports Direct Stream so i'm stuck with transcoding on my Gen 8. 

Funny thing is, I tried to stream a 4K file off my Gen & for the first 2 minutes all was well, but then my i3 peaked at 100% and it started to struggle. 

My question is would the 1265L or V2 variant with 16GB RAM & a decent Low profile 2GB GPU be good enough to achieve the following scenario where my wife can be editing her photos on the VM and I can play 4K content off the Gen 8 whilst it transcodes? 

** Edit **

This is an upgrade from a ML350e Gen 8 V2 which was taking up too much room and limited my ability to upgrade the storage. So it made sense to me to go back to the Microserver range to find a more compact and manageable solution. 

Edited by StarGazer

I have a Xeon E3-1220v2 (2 cores 4 threads) 15W part I pulled from my Microserver when I upgraded it to the 1265. Message me, I'm willing to sell it for cheap. Would probably be enough assisted by a GPU to do transcoding, and probably could do more (VMs). 

On 9/22/2021 at 1:09 AM, Noth said:

I have a Xeon E3-1220v2 (2 cores 4 threads) 15W part I pulled from my Microserver when I upgraded it to the 1265. Message me, I'm willing to sell it for cheap. Would probably be enough assisted by a GPU to do transcoding, and probably could do more (VMs). 

Thanks but I'm aiming to get the maximum I can get for the gen 8 (1265) and add a GPU to it to assist anyway. 
Just on the look out for some RAM at the moment. 

• 2 weeks later...

HI , I recently bought a Microserv Gen8 and I wanted to upgrade it with a bigger CPU.

Finally I discover the existance of the XEON E3-1275V2. I bought it and it works fine. I didn't want to lose the gpu inside.

The CPU temperature didn't go further 40°C. I didn't change the heatsink  I kept the one I got.

I got a Pentium G2020T when I bought it.

I don't understand why I can't update the firmware. Even when I got the G2020T I couldn't . It seems that something is missing. Anyway, with the firmware of 6th of June 2014.  Everything works fine. I just wanted to update it to it's maximum. 

Xeon E3-1275V2 Temp.jpg

On 10/12/2021 at 1:28 PM, CedricM said:

HI , I recently bought a Microserv Gen8 and I wanted to upgrade it with a bigger CPU.

Finally I discover the existance of the XEON E3-1275V2. I bought it and it works fine. I didn't want to lose the gpu inside.

The CPU temperature didn't go further 40°C. I didn't change the heatsink  I kept the one I got.

I got a Pentium G2020T when I bought it.

I don't understand why I can't update the firmware. Even when I got the G2020T I couldn't . It seems that something is missing. Anyway, with the firmware of 6th of June 2014.  Everything works fine. I just wanted to update it to it's maximum. 

Xeon E3-1275V2 Temp.jpg

I was interesting in the xeon e3 1290 v2 but i needed an extra gpu card and i wanted to keep the pci slot to add an nvme drive for swap and virtual machines