RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
LoneWolf

HP Microserver Gen8 Processor FAQ

Wetpaint

I think that the I5-3470T is a good weigh-off between cost and performance, i picked one up for 35 euros delivered on eBay

shadox
On 11/23/2018 at 3:05 PM, skandal said:

It's still the same CPUs. My recommendations are the 1265L v2 and the 1220L v2.

On 11/29/2018 at 2:51 PM, Lagus said:

No, intel afaik, has stopped producing these older (and especially developing) CPU's...

Just get a 1265L v2 - They are they best for this little one! - Can be costly today though.. :)

Just want to ask before i order, why is the 1265L v2 the chosen one for this gen8? have found it for 100€ which isn't much.

Rumburak

Why? Best performance with the stock heatsink.

gen 8 cpu list.jpg

ullbeking
Posted (edited)

@Rumburak How does this show best performance with the stock heatsink?  Where is the temperature measurement?  Also, is there any noticeable difference in noise from the fans?

On 3/23/2018 at 2:29 PM, Trig0r said:

Correct, stock heatsink is 35w, heat pipe from the newer SKU's is 65w...

For my second question in this thread...

@Trig0r What are you referring to by the newer SKU's?

Are you referring to coolers in later revisions of the Gen 8?  Or are you referring to different Microservers?  Or are you referring to swapping our the stock cooler for a more powerful one (in which case I would be concerned about it being louder)?  Or something else?

Edited by ullbeking

Trig0r

Cooler in later units were a heatpipe setup rated to 65w rather than the 30w(?) of the stock heatsink block.

ullbeking
5 minutes ago, Trig0r said:

Cooler in later units were a heatpipe setup rated to 65w rather than the 30w(?) of the stock heatsink block.

@Trig0r How would I know which revision of the Gen 8 unit I have, and which stock heatsink/cooler I have?

Trig0r

I dont know, no.

@schoondoggy might though, he's a bit more sage-like when it comes to things like that.

All I know is there was an update where the Heatpipe was included and the CPU choices were a bit better.

schoondoggy

I think the 65w cooling solution was only used on the i3 CPU version of the MS Gen8. I could be wrong, but that is what I recall.

netware5

The 65W solution is a standart spare part you can order for any MS Gen8.

Trig0r

Yes it is a standard part, and can be gotten from anywhere that usually does HP spares, they are quite visibly different so its easy to see which one you have, there is a thread I did a while back when I was still a Gen8 user where I took a load of photo's and noted part numbers etc.