RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
LoneWolf

HP Microserver Gen8 Processor FAQ

gskill

hello,

my name is Adam, I'm from Veszprém, Hungary, Europe. Before I bought 2 piece of HP gen8s I read your forum for sevaral days and hours and I really liked it. I'd like to help you guys with sharing my individual CPU cooler mod. But first let me introduce my servers first...

One of them is recording several HD IP camera's video 24/7 in my family's hostel for security reasons. It is a stock version with 2020T, 2G RAM and 6Tb HDD. In that same hostel there is a HP server tc-2110 for internet sharing and it is running 24/7 for more than 10 years now! Except of the PSU(died 3 years ago), there is no problem with it at all, I'm fully statisfied with that.

The other one is my home server and destop pc. Yes, I know it is not for desktop use, but I fell in love with server stuffs. It is like the other gen8, except I bought 8 Gb more RAM (10G total). I'm planning to buy a GTX-960 or 960Ti, if nvidia is going to make a low-profile version of it. Plan B is a Zotac LP 750Ti. (Unfourtunately, in Hungary you can't buy LP MSI 750ti)

A week ago I bought a xeon 1220 v2: http://ark.intel.com/compare/71069,65734

That caused the replacement of the original sink. My individual coller was a passive copper HP sink. (right side). There were some other sinks, but it was the easiest way to install on my 1220.

66038_20141226_193448.thumb.jpg

I drilled some holes for fixing the sink to the motherboard and some other holes to fix the fan to the sink.

66038_20141227_144909.thumb.jpg

The whole cooler(sink+fan) looked like this before intalling on the motherboard:

66038_20141227_165330.thumb.jpg

And after install:

66038_20141227_165715.thumb.jpg

Conclusion: On Idle the xeon was 40C. After half an hour full stress with prime95 it was 48C. The CPUfan on full speed make very low noise and I'm fully statisfied with it. You can watch some other photos of my mod on our hungarian gen8 forum:http://prohardver.hu/tema/hp_proliant_microserver_gen8/hsz_435-435.html

I hope I helped some members with sharing my mod. Sorry for my English, etcetc.

Have a nice day!

Edited by gskill
  • Like 1

Joe_Miner

Wow oh Wow, that is a beautiful mod! +1

Welcome to the forums Gskill!

ikon

Don't apologize for your English Gskill; you're doing fine. Nice mod with the cooler. Thanks for posting about it.

shakenfr

Hello again,

I received my Sapphire Gfx board. I installed it but now impossible to obtain a remote console with ILO (black screen) . I supposed it's normal because it is the Matrox that works with the ILO but : With VGA still connected to the matrox, I doesn't see anything (remote console always).  Is it normal ?

best

bruno

schoondoggy

I think there is a BIOS setting that needs to be changed relating to video.

Sorry I cant remember the setting.

Gold

Hi Guys,

I am new here. I am thinking of buying this Gen8 Microserver. I read the thread and I am wondering...

Does the Micro Server Support Non ECC RAM ? ( and therefore CPU)

What about the consumption of the suggested CPUs ? I am looking for a very low consuming Server.

Thanks !

machnine

Hi Guys,

I am new here. I am thinking of buying this Gen8 Microserver. I read the thread and I am wondering...

Does the Micro Server Support Non ECC RAM ? ( and therefore CPU)

What about the consumption of the suggested CPUs ? I am looking for a very low consuming Server.

Thanks !

No Non-ECC RAM, only ECC unbuffered RAM

Lowest power CPU is E3 1220L v2 17w TDP, but either expensive or hard to come by

Edited by machnine

HellDiverUK

I am looking for a very low consuming Server.

The Gen8 uses about 10W more than a more modern miniITX machine with a fast Haswell CPU.  The iLO and the extra two NICs use extra power, and the Sandy Bridge CPU uses more power.

For example, sitting in Windows with a single drive a G1610T Gen8 will use about 35W.  An i3-4350 on a B85 board with the same RAM and drive will use 22W.  The i3 is dual core 3.6GHz with Hyperthreading.  The G1610T is dual core 2.3GHz.

Gold

Hi Guys,
Thanks for feedback

so you do  recommend a custom build with a recent i3 Processor? Will that be enough to transcode mkv 1080p video to DNLA Clients ?

I have seen they have released a new Microserver with the Xeon 1220L Processor, cant find power consumption tests tough.

HellDiverUK

so you do  recommend a custom build with a recent i3 Processor? Will that be enough to transcode mkv 1080p video to DNLA Clients ?

Way more than good enough.

If you do want to get a pre-built machine, then the Lenovo TS140 is a very nice machine (I have one myself and I'm pretty pleased with it), and there's also the Dell T20.  Both are pretty cheap, and both are more power efficient than the Gen8.  However, you don't get iLO on the Dell.  The Lenovo has Intel's AMT which is similar to iLO but shares the system NIC.  The Ts140 and T20 are small tower machines, quite a bit bigger than the Gen8, but they are both quieter than the Gen8.