RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
LoneWolf

HP Microserver Gen8 Processor FAQ

bar1

Cheapest, compatible Xeon i could find is x4 the amount of the refurbished I5.

not sure if it's worth it, but not gonna spend that about at the moment....

anyone have experience with the i5-3470T?will i need additional cooling?

I am sure it'll out perform the celeron cpu i currently have.....

Amulos
8 minutes ago, bar1 said:

Cheapest, compatible Xeon i could find is x4 the amount of the refurbished I5.

not sure if it's worth it, but not gonna spend that about at the moment....

anyone have experience with the i5-3470T?will i need additional cooling?

I am sure it'll out perform the celeron cpu i currently have.....

I hav e the i5-3450t and it runs fine with the stock heat sink and cooling . On idle the cores are about 27c in a domestic lounge environment under load it’s heats up quick but the system fan speeds up enough to maintain about 50-55c . This is set to balanced performance in bios and optimised cooling ( the one when at idle the fan is at 9%). I have 16gb ecc ram and it all runs fine-  not sure if the ram is running in ecc mode though as supposedly the processor doesn’t support it.

Edited by Amulos

bar1
2 minutes ago, Amulos said:

I hav e the i5-3450t and it runs fine with the stock heat sink and cooling . On idle the cores are about 27c in a domestic lounge environment under load it’s heats up quick but the system fan speeds up enough to maintain about 50-55c . This is set to balanced performance in bios and optimised cooling ( the one when at idle the fan is at 9%). I have 16gb ecc ram and it all runs fine-  not sure if the ram is running in ecc mode though as supposedly the processor doesn’t support it.

would you say its a big improvement over the  Celeron G1610T?

thanks for the quick reply...

Amulos

Yes - for what I use the server for - and the i5 I picked up was only £50. So a cheap upgrade. I would have preferred a Xeon but could find any that were cheap enough that would t require the cooling tweaking.

the pass mark score for the i5 is about double the g1610t I think. There was a spreadsheet doing the rounds with all the CPU’s that are compatible compared along with tdp’s.

i run a vm so the i5 also supports vt-d which the celeron doesn’t 

bar1

the I5 i am looking at is about 80 USD, however i am a little nervous as its a "refurbished one".

Currently i am running proxmox with a few vm's.....just added 8GB of ram for a total of 10 (hopefully more to come...).

Amulos

The one I purchased was also refurbished or pulled from another board . I got mine from eBay! 

not sure if youve seen the list i mentioned, so ive attached it- credit to another poster on this forum

gen 8 cpu list.jpg

Edited by Amulos

StuMcBill

I upgraded the processor in my server to a i5-2390T and have been very happy with it so far for HD content streaming on Plex. 

However, I’m looking at doing 4K soon and I wondered what the minimum spec I should look at for processor and RAM upgrades to facilitate this?

Cheers

docchris
1 hour ago, StuMcBill said:

I upgraded the processor in my server to a i5-2390T and have been very happy with it so far for HD content streaming on Plex. 

However, I’m looking at doing 4K soon and I wondered what the minimum spec I should look at for processor and RAM upgrades to facilitate this?

Cheers

for STREAMING, that should be fine

even if the audio needs to be transcoded , that will be fine

it would only be for real time video transcoding you may need to upgrade

so as long as whatever you are streaming to can decode HEVC, i dont think you will need to upgrade