RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
LoneWolf

HP Microserver Gen8 Processor FAQ

itGeeks
52 minutes ago, Indrek said:

Well then it's simply not fast enough. As a rough calculation, 4K has 4 times as many pixels as FHD (3840x2160 vs. 1920x1080), so all other things being equal you would need a CPU with a Passmark score of roughly 4 x 2000 = 8000 to transcode. Of course it can vary based on the actual bitrate, codec and other things like the audio track, but it looks like the i5-3470T will still fall far short.

Why are you transcoding 4K anyway? Is it because you need to burn subtitles into the video? Consider upgrading whatever you're using to stream from your Plex server to something that supports Direct Play for your video files. Or are you downscaling for smaller screens (e.g.  occasionally watching on a phone or tablet)? Consider storing multiple versions of each video so devices with smaller screens can automatically play the lower-res version.

You also make good points, Plex has a built-in 'Media Optimizer' that will help create different versions of the same media. A demo of how it works can be found here

Amulos
On 16/02/2018 at 12:28 PM, itGeeks said:

Correct, A score of 4500 is not going to cut it. According to Plex on paper that will give you two 1080p/10Mbps streams with trans-coding. For one 4k with trans-coding you would need a PassMark score of anywhere from 8000 - 16000 and even then you may not be able to play all 4k. See the chart below for examples of different bitrates-

5a86c11b50b0a_VideoBitratesCapture.PNG.a30992c82489d13710a1058b87fc6be5.PNG

Now I have some questions-

1) Why are you only using two cores for the VM? It looks like it's four cores, You should be using all the cores else your crippling performance. I am not an expert on VM's however when I was setting up my first VM I reached out to forum members to ask this same question and the answer was use ALL the cores on every VM, The link to my post found here.

Ive changed the setting to be 4 cores in the VM, thanks

2) What is the bitrate of the video you trying to play? You can use 'media info' to look at the properties of the video found here

5924 kB/s

3) What clients are you using to to watch media?

Plex app on Apple TV, or plex app on iOS device

4) Does your TV's support 4K playback natively?

No- I’m considering an upgrade to 4K tv, but want to see if the server can cope

5) Are you a PlexPass subscriber? I only ask this because Plex supports 'Hardware Trans-Coding' but is a PlexPass feature. If you don't have PlexPass and you wan't to try 'hardware trans-coding' to see if it works for you, You can get a 3 month free trial by clicking here

I’m not sadly

On closing honestly after fixing your limited cores and testing 'hardware trans-coding' if that does not work for you and your just wanting to watch 4K on the big screen I would just get a device capable of 'direct play' One such device that I highly recommend is the Nvidia Shield 179.00 found here

Hope this info helps....

Really appreciate all the pointers and info you’ve shared. The media server ive got is a bit of a pet project, but i’m learning fast!

• Like 1

Rumburak

So, I can get one of those for 100$

- Intel Xeon E3-1230 Quad-Core 
- Intel Xeon E3-1245 Quad-Core 
- Intel Xeon E3-1275v2 Quad-Core
- Intel Xeon E3-1280 Quad-Core

The problem is that none are listed in the file

imageproxy.png

Indrek

Probably because they all have a TDP around 80 W or more, which is a bit too much even for the larger heatsink (which is rated for 65 W, I believe), much less the stock one (35 W). On the other hand, people have reported successfully using even the E3-1290, so all the ones you listed should work, you just have to keep an eye on temperatures.

Trig0r

Correct, stock heatsink is 35w, heat pipe from the newer SKU's is 65w...

MiG174

Passive cooler for HP Microserver Gen8 made of Arctic Accelero Twin Turbo 690Cooler height 33mm.

21200347.jpg21200348.jpg21200349.jpg21200350.jpg21200351.jpg21200352.jpg21200353.jpg21200354.jpg21200346.jpg

Two radiators - two options: closer or further from the rear connectors.

Edited by MiG174
  • Like 1

stangri

Passive cooler for HP Microserver Gen8 made of Arctic Accelero Twin Turbo 690Cooler height 33mm.

Two radiators - two options: closer or further from the rear connectors.

Which CPU are you running this on? No fans at all there or do you mount fans on radiators? Does the item you've linked come with two different radiators? I'm not sure I can tell from pictures -- what is the different between those two radiators?

Thanks!

MiG174

what is the different between those two radiators?

21200354_m.jpg21200347_m.jpg

21341029.jpg

without fan, as here 

bar1

Hi everyone, new to the forum.

nice to see some active discussions regarding the gen 8 micro server.

I recently installed proxmox, and started deploying virtual machines and of course the first thing i need is more ram and i am planning to buy some CT102472BD160B in the next few days.

Also been starting to think about a CPU upgrade, they seem to be cheap enough, i saw a refurbished i5-3470T.

and i have a few questions...is this a good cpu to buy?

will i need additional cooling?

i am also a bit concerned about buying a second hand cpu as i believe cpu's degrade over time.

also will it be compatible with my new RAM? will it be compatible with other ram (maybe none ecc?) 

thanks!

BAr1

Edited by bar1

schoondoggy
2 hours ago, bar1 said:

Hi everyone, new to the forum.

nice to see some active discussions regarding the gen 8 micro server.

I recently installed proxmox, and started deploying virtual machines and of course the first thing i need is more ram and i am planning to buy some CT102472BD160B in the next few days.

Also been starting to think about a CPU upgrade, they seem to be cheap enough, i saw a refurbished i5-3470T.

and i have a few questions...is this a good cpu to buy?

will i need additional cooling?

i am also a bit concerned about buying a second hand cpu as i believe cpu's degrade over time.

also will it be compatible with my new RAM? will it be compatible with other ram (maybe none ecc?) 

thanks!

BAr1

Welcome!

For CPU upgrades I tend to stay in the XEON camp. Everything seems to work with XEON's and the 1260l or 1265l CPU that many users are upgrading to seem to have come down in price. 

The MS Gen8 only works with ECC memory. The i5-3470T may or may not support ECC, but they seem to work in the MS Gen8. CPU do not tend to wear out, but heat can damage them. If you buy used test it quickly and throughly.

Upgrade all of the BIOS and firmware before upgrading.