RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
LoneWolf

HP Microserver Gen8 Processor FAQ

Trig0r

There was a similar thing with the Celeron as well, was on ARK, then wasn't, Intel said they weren't aware of it over twitter..

Amulos

Hi, quick update.

i5-3470t arrived, installed and booted first time, bios and win server 2012 r2 recognises it. Temp at idle are about 27-29 C. Prime 95 ramped time up to about 56 under load, but they quickly reduced back to early 30’s.

Any ideas how i can get the VM running to update the processor in the details page- it thinks its still on the celeron G1610T?

schoondoggy
On 2/13/2018 at 1:11 PM, Amulos said:

Hi, quick update.

i5-3470t arrived, installed and booted first time, bios and win server 2012 r2 recognises it. Temp at idle are about 27-29 C. Prime 95 ramped time up to about 56 under load, but they quickly reduced back to early 30’s.

Any ideas how i can get the VM running to update the processor in the details page- it thinks its still on the celeron G1610T?

Is the VM running under HyperV in 2012r2?

Sp1r3d
On 1/4/2018 at 1:49 PM, exis said:

I'm going for the 1265L v1 then.. sadly v2 prices are a bit out of range for me. Thanks for your replies!

I`m using 1265L v1 too and temps are not so nice as I would like... ~70C during converting photos. Tried to disable cores (at first just 1, then 2) but with no proper success - T still near 67-69C. Then I was disabled TurboBoost in BIOS and enabled all cores, after that T goes down and did not exceed 60C any more. So, I can recommend to disable TB if performance is not bottle neck in your system.
P.S. Fan speed is ~10% all the time (silent mode) and T of inlet air ~25C. But idea of using some kind of any suitable copper heatsink from server didn`t leave me.)))

Amulos
8 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

Is the VM running under HyperV in 2012r2?

Yes - it’s updated itself now and the VM lists the cpu as the i5 . Looks like it needed a couple of reboots!

Although I still have issues with Plex and a 4K stream with an error message detailing the server isn’t fast enough to transcode , which is why I upgraded  from the Celeron .

I thought the i5 would have enough grunt for that ?

Indrek
1 hour ago, Amulos said:

Although I still have issues with Plex and a 4K stream with an error message detailing the server isn’t fast enough to transcode , which is why I upgraded  from the Celeron .

I thought the i5 would have enough grunt for that ?

How many cores does the VM have? What's the CPU usage on the VM like when transcoding? The i5-3470T has a Passmark score of 4500 which might be too little for 4K, considering 1080p needs 2000.

Amulos

The VM has 2 cores assigned to it and it ramps up to the turbo boost frequency of 3.6 in the host machine. The usage in the VM is at 100% most of the time when looking at 4K. There is 8gb of ram assigned to the VM from 16gb in the host. 

i shut  down the VM and installed plex on the host and it still increased to the turbo boost clock speed, but I don’t  remember what they the cpu usage was. But I still got the error with ‘not fast enough’ 

itGeeks
2 hours ago, Indrek said:

How many cores does the VM have? What's the CPU usage on the VM like when transcoding? The i5-3470T has a Passmark score of 4500 which might be too little for 4K, considering 1080p needs 2000.

Correct, A score of 4500 is not going to cut it. According to Plex on paper that will give you two 1080p/10Mbps streams with trans-coding. For one 4k with trans-coding you would need a minimum PassMark score of 8000 and even then you may not be able to play all 4k. See the chart below for examples of different bitrates-

Indrek
2 hours ago, Amulos said:

i shut  down the VM and installed plex on the host and it still increased to the turbo boost clock speed, but I don’t  remember what they the cpu usage was. But I still got the error with ‘not fast enough’ 

Well then it's simply not fast enough. As a rough calculation, 4K has 4 times as many pixels as FHD (3840x2160 vs. 1920x1080), so all other things being equal you would need a CPU with a Passmark score of roughly 4 x 2000 = 8000 to transcode. Of course it can vary based on the actual bitrate, codec and other things like the audio track, but it looks like the i5-3470T will still fall far short.

Why are you transcoding 4K anyway? Is it because you need to burn subtitles into the video? Consider upgrading whatever you're using to stream from your Plex server to something that supports Direct Play for your video files. Or are you downscaling for smaller screens (e.g.  occasionally watching on a phone or tablet)? Consider storing multiple versions of each video so devices with smaller screens can automatically play the lower-res version.

Edited by Indrek

itGeeks

Correct, A score of 4500 is not going to cut it. According to Plex on paper that will give you two 1080p/10Mbps streams with trans-coding. For one 4k with trans-coding you would need a PassMark score of anywhere from 8000 - 16000 and even then you may not be able to play all 4k. See the chart below for examples of different bitrates-

5a86c11b50b0a_VideoBitratesCapture.PNG.a30992c82489d13710a1058b87fc6be5.PNG

Now I have some questions-

1) Why are you only using two cores for the VM? It looks like it's four cores, You should be using all the cores else your crippling performance. I am not an expert on VM's however when I was setting up my first VM I reached out to forum members to ask this same question and the answer was use ALL the cores on every VM, The link to my post found here.

2) What is the bitrate of the video you trying to play? You can use 'media info' to look at the properties of the video found here

3) What clients are you using to to watch media?

4) Does your TV's support 4K playback natively?

5) Are you a PlexPass subscriber? I only ask this because Plex supports 'Hardware Trans-Coding' but is a PlexPass feature. If you don't have PlexPass and you wan't to try 'hardware trans-coding' to see if it works for you, You can get a 3 month free trial by clicking here

On closing honestly after fixing your limited cores and testing 'hardware trans-coding' if that does not work for you and your just wanting to watch 4K on the big screen I would just get a device capable of 'direct play' One such device that I highly recommend is the Nvidia Shield 179.00 found here

Hope this info helps....