RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
LoneWolf

HP Microserver Gen8 Processor FAQ

VINNIEINC

Hi,

Please could you tell me if the E3-1270 V2 CPU is an option?

Thanks

LoneWolf

Hi,

Please could you tell me if the E3-1270 V2 CPU is an option?

Thanks

It will likely work.  However, as mentioned before, I don't advocate 69w TDP processors in the Microserver Gen8.  You're much better off with a 45w TDP processor; the passive heatsink is only designed for 35w TDP processors.

Conneckter

Hey Everyone,

yesterday I upgraded my two HP Microserver Gen8 with a i3-3220T and a Xeon E3-1220L V2 and it works great!

2014_07_10_Kiefersfelden_Server_Umbau_00

• Like 1

tangcla

I've just won an auction for a Xeon 1260L.

What have previous upgraders' experience been with needing to lap the heatsink?

Joe_Miner

You can test the Heat-sink face to see how flat it is -- if it's bowed in or out you may find it worthwhile to lap it but lapping can be a serious PIA.

http://homeservershow.com/hp-proliant-gen8-microserver-lapping-cpu-heat-sink.html

It does make a difference but you may find the need to add fans to the Heat sink or increase the BIOS fan setting to Increased cooling -- or both if your OCD like me.

Edited by Joe_Miner
  • Like 1

tangcla

It does make a difference but you may find the need to add fans to the Heat sink or increase the BIOS fan setting to Increased cooling -- or both if your OCD like me.

Did the small fan increase noise noticeably?

LoneWolf

I've just won an auction for a Xeon 1260L.

What have previous upgraders' experience been with needing to lap the heatsink?

stix01 has the 1260L.  I don't think he's lapped his heatsink.

The 1260L should be one of the cooler running quad-cores due to the heatspreader being attached with fluxless solder to the CPU die.  In comparison, the newer 1265L v2 which I am running probably would run warmer under load, even though it's a lower-micron process, due to Intel switching to thermal interface material between the spreader and die.

I have never lapped my HP heatsink.  If the surface of yours is even, there shouldn't be a need, especially if you use quality thermal compound, such as those available from Noctua or Thermalright.

• Like 1

tangcla

stix01 has the 1260L.  I don't think he's lapped his heatsink.

The 1260L should be one of the cooler running quad-cores due to the heatspreader being attached with fluxless solder to the CPU die.  In comparison, the newer 1265L v2 which I am running probably would run warmer under load, even though it's a lower-micron process, due to Intel switching to thermal interface material between the spreader and die.

I have never lapped my HP heatsink.  If the surface of yours is even, there shouldn't be a need, especially if you use quality thermal compound, such as those available from Noctua or Thermalright.

Thanks - Noctua AT1, check ;)

Will see how flat the surface is before I bust out the sandpaper. I've never lapped before, but I have sanded before. The process doesn't look too difficult... It can't do any real harm, right, as long as I keep the sanding surface flat, and I rinse the heatsink very well to remove all metal filaments?

Joe_Miner

The Evercool's aren't that loud.

Lapping isn't that difficult if you take your time and don't try to hurry it -- but it's probably not worth the effort if your heat-sink face is flat already.  You can look at my pictures -- mine was definitely warped so it needed Lapping.

ikon

It can't do any real harm, right

Yes it can. If not done properly, you can actually make things worse. Patience and consistency of technique are key.