RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
LoneWolf

HP Microserver Gen8 Processor FAQ

LoneWolf

I have not disabled Turbo on my Xeon. 

One of the most important things to remember about Turbo Boost:  It is designed to boost single-threaded performance.  So, the greatest boost occurs when only one or two of the processor cores are active.  Since not all cores are under load, the idle ones should be at low power and not contributing significantly to the heat factor.

For this reason, disabling Turbo Boost probably doesn't matter much, as you're unlikely to have a much higher clock frequency going when the CPU is at 100% load.

EDIT:  Also know that if the processor is near thermal limits, it will throttle itself  back.  Therefore, Turbo Boost is unlikely to occur in a situation where the processor is running close to its rated thermal capacity.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/turbo-boost/turbo-boost-technology.html

Edited by LoneWolf
  • Like 1

demiurg

It would be nice to have also some sharings/infos on fan-level experiences (percentages) on the different processors. I know it also depends on the overall settings, but some approx. levels would be nice to add to your guide.

stix01

It would be nice to have also some sharings/infos on fan-level experiences (percentages) on the different processors. I know it also depends on the overall settings, but some approx. levels would be nice to add to your guide.

It's not the cpu that effects the fan much it's more raid and add in cards.

demiurg

It's not the cpu that effects the fan much it's more raid and add in cards.

I see; so there should be absolutely no increase in fan rate if you just upgrade the CPU to an E3-1265L V2 or i3-3220T, correct?

stix01

From what users have experienced - the fan has not changed in speed. However it's a bit of a try and see - generally users are running in the higher fan modes so it's hard to totally pin down. But I know my stock cpu the fan doesn't increase after 1hr of prime 95

Mekasus

I would also like to know more about the Fan Speed:

1. Do user experience an increase when updating to E3 Processors (only from the E3-Update)?

2. Which Processor they bought and what was their increase in Fan-Percentage (if)?

3. Are there users that have an E3 and Fan is running at 6% (if yes, which E-3 Processor)?

Thank you very much.

LoneWolf

I think that's hard to quantify, because people who do significant CPU upgrades are probably likely to add additional peripherals like a RAID controller, and therefore likely to bring the fans up as a whole.

You're going to need people who did the CPU upgrade only.  I don't know if you'll find that, and it's also going to depend on how many hard drives are in the system.  There's a lot to quantify.

tedaz

Wonderful thanks for the info. I will be using it in a HTPC scenario but I may turn off the turbo to keep the temps down. I am going to go to the effort of lapping my heatsink as John did as this probably will aid the temperatures. I'm going to just use the optimal setting as the box lives right beside my sofa. But I think with top quality paste , lapping and the turbo off I should be ok. Otherwise I may upgrade to one of the Dell heatsinks floating around that look to have the right hole dimensions and clearance. I think these can cope with 130w TDP when well ventilated. I figure 8 2.4 threads can easily transcode 2x 1080p movies at once and this is probably the most load I will experience. Also I've seen this and have a sneaking suspicion that the hole dimensions are perfect.

Which model is exactly suitable for MicroServer Gen8?

CPU Cooler Slim Silence A-Plus or  Slim Silence i-Plus?

br0n

Hi!

Somebody tested Gelid heatsink in Gen8?

br0n

It's a 1u am2 gelid unit

you installed this heatsink on regular mount? or needed some reconstructions? can you take a photo?