RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
LoneWolf

HP Microserver Gen8 Processor FAQ

stix01

stix01, interesting. Never heard of anyone doing lapping a CPU.

Ahh well must be more commonplace in overclocking circles. As pictured below. I haven't even unboxed my server yet and I'm thinking of this. Ha! 

lap800.jpg

ikon

But, but, but..... you lose all that cool labelling on the CPU :D

stix01

But, but, but..... you lose all that cool labelling on the CPU :D

Lol. I'm a neat freak I almost want to wipe writing off things!

ikon

But the writing is so cool -- I mean, it is put on with freakin' LASERs :D

• Like 1

LoneWolf

stix01, interesting. Never heard of anyone doing lapping a CPU.

LoneWolf, it's very likely your CPU and heatsink were properly machined when you received the computer. I think it's pretty unusual to find ones that aren't. IOW, I think Joe_Miner was unlucky.

ikon, Lapping cpus is more common in overclocking circles.

As mentioned in the article though, I'd only do it on a Sandy Bridge Xeon.  The heatspreader being soldered to the die makes things stronger.  With Ivy Bridge (v2) Xeon E3 processors, there is no more solder.  Lapping the heatspreader may cause it to separate from the CPU, and has a higher possibility of damage.

stix01

ikon, Lapping cpus is more common in overclocking circles.

As mentioned in the article though, I'd only do it on a Sandy Bridge Xeon. The heatspreader being soldered to the die makes things stronger. With Ivy Bridge (v2) Xeon E3 processors, there is no more solder. Lapping the heatspreader may cause it to separate from the CPU, and has a higher possibility of damage.

This is part of my reasoning for going for the 1260l the slight clock speed loss over the 1265l I think is not an issue compared to the better heat dissipation in the sb series chips.

I've built a few rigs for people with ivy and sandy and I've been shocked at the heat the ivy spews out.

LoneWolf

Tough call. 

Sandy - Possible better temperatures (definitely better when overclocked, though that's mainly a desktop situation as opposed to a server).  At stock speeds, differences are likely there when under load, but not as apparent, and Intel has indicated that CPU TDP design can handle it just fine, even though it could raise ambient temperature in the enclosure.

Ivy - certain additional features that may or may not provide benefit to the end user, noted here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivy_Bridge_(microarchitecture)#Ivy_Bridge_features_and_performance

In my case (though torn), I went with additional features.  Some of them may not be supported due to server configuration.  I don't know if there is a way to test, for example, whether the Microserver Gen8 platform can use the QuickSync features of the 1260L and 1265L v2;  if it can, there is a considerable performance boost for people who actually use their server to transcode video on the fly, provided they use an app that supports QuickSync.  Also, while Ivy Bridge supports PCIe 3.0 (Sandy is 2.0), the Intel specs for the C204 chipset state it is a PCIe 2.0 chipset.  And, it is unlikely that throughput is limited under PCIe 2.0 and that one can max it out.

Floating point performance is improved; once again, if you use apps that take advantage, great, if not, gains are probably negligible.  There is also a hardware random-number generator (again, probably not something the average user will take advantage of, and programs can use other methods than Intel's RdRand implementation).

I take a moderate approach with desktop hardware (overclock, but not too much, only on my own system) and the conservative option with servers, mainly because servers have that focus on stability and uptime.  It's in my nature, but playing around can be fun too.  In my case, playing around with a server is more like adding hardware RAID, getting the best out of lights-out management (or finding new ways to tweak it), or a functionality increase like SchoonDoggy's excellent drive bracket mod. 

Either way, I haven't found that the 1265L v2 is causing a heat problem in my system.  However, I was willing to spend more for an L-series processor over the Xeon E3-1230 v2 for the same reason you went with the 1260L; I considered a 24-watt TDP increase to be unacceptable for my configuration, especially considering the power draw and possible heat from other components.

tangcla

Are the 1220 (non-L) processors an option? Or must it be the L?

LoneWolf

Are the 1220 (non-L) processors an option? Or must it be the L?

The non-L should definitely be a compatible option, if it's a Xeon E3 or E3-v2.

Consider though, the reason for the L variant is low voltage, and therefore, lower TDP.  Keep in mind, the heatsink of the Microserver is designed for a max 35w TDP processor.  The Xeon E3 1220L v2 is well within this at 17w, of course, it's a 2-core/4-thread processor.  The Xeon E3-1260L and 1265L v2 are 45w TDP processors; above the envelope, but not significantly so, and they're 4-core/8-thread CPUs, quite a bit of processing power.

The Xeon E3 1220 v2 is 4 cores, 4 threads (no Hyperthreading --and (like the Xeon E3 1230 v2 which is 4 cores, 8 threads) it's got a TDP of 69w.  That's 34w above the rated TDP of the heatsink, and at that point, I myself am not totally comfortable with that idea, especially when you take into account the following:

- You're going to want to load your system with drives, most likely.  Probably all four bays, and maybe, if you're having fun, two more with the SchoonDoggy Drive Bracket.  You've got to look at thermal dissipation as a whole, not just from a processor perspective, and drives add heat.  If you decide you want performance drives (say, Western Digital RE-series, Seagate Constellations, or WD `Raptors), the heat goes up further still.  Hardware RAID adds another CPU as well, and that CPU gives off heat of its own.

- Consider that the Microserver Gen8 has a 150w power supply.  Start adding up what your Xeon E3 v2 (non-L) processor consumes under load, plus drives under load, plus peripherals (e.g., RAID controller or other expansion card) and at some point, you're putting additional stress on the power supply.  Maybe it can handle it --but if you're putting it at the edge for periods of time, you're probably going to shorten its lifespan.

- Consider what your environment is going to be.  If you're not in an air-conditioned house/apartment and you have warm summers, adding that heat to your server may pose an issue for a portion of the year.  And there's only so much you can do to remove warm air from a device the size of a breadbox, with possibly limited channels for airflow.

In the enterprise, people focus on reliability and uptime - and they focus on efficiency (keeping heat low, keeping power supplies within an efficient envelope) which also has a positive effect on that reliability and uptime.  I know we're talking about home servers here so I'm stretching it a tad, but it's always good to look at what a system was designed to handle.  Personally, I think the Xeon E3-1220 v2 isn't a great value in terms of performance (no Hyperthreading), or efficiency (69w TDP) when it comes to the Gen8.

• Like 1

Joe_Miner

New Forum Member Woozer asked me a question that I'm moving to this thread and hopefully generate additional feedback from other Forum Members...........

============

“... I recently bought a E3-1265Lv2 to replace the OEM Celeron. Based on the posts in the forums, I plan to tweak the cooling mode in the BIOS to the middle cooling setting (Increased Cooling), however I cannot tell if I need/should disable TurboBoost in addition to the fan tweak. Is it recommended to disable TurboBoost of the CPU in addition to tweaking the fan mode since this is a 45W CPU on the factory passive cooler, or is it alright to run with TurboBoost enabled as long as the fan is tweaked to the middle cooling mode? ...”

============

Hi Woozer and welcome to the Forums.  When you get a chance and introduce yourself http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/344-welcome-to-homeservershowcom-forums-introduce-yourself-here/  and check out http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/7393-forum-jargon-and-etiquette/

With my Xeon E3-1265LV2 I was satisfied (you need to decide what operating temp range you are satisfied with) with the temp’s I was seeing when I used the Increased Cooling setting in BIOS and have not considered disabling my TurboBoost.  See:

HP ProLiant Gen8 MicroServer: Xeon E3-1265LV2 CPU Upgrade

My PlayList for System Board Heat Sink CPU Remove-Install HP ProLiant Gen8 MicroServer

AND Check out this collection of Temp Studies that Include mine http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6762-anyone-who-has-changed-the-heat-sink-on-a-gen8-microserver/page-3#entry77590 You’ll also find links to some additional cooling solutions (i.e. adding additional fans to the CPU Heat Sink etc.) in that page -- and a number of Forum members have employed them to be able to use the Optimal Cooling BIOS setting, YMMV

Be sure to check out the relevant threads starting on CSKenney’s page that started the thread ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Links and the Gen8 Forum and the MicroServer General Forum

I don’t know of anyone in the Forums who has turned off the TurboBoost on their E3-1265LV2.