RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
LoneWolf

HP Microserver Gen8 Processor FAQ

Helzy

WHat is the part number on that HSF assembly?

stix01

It's a 1u am2 gelid unit

ikon

I would check the heatsink 1st, to see if it actually needs lapping.

stix01

I would check the heatsink 1st, to see if it actually needs lapping.

I certainly will but I am of the thinking that they all could probably do with a surface improvement.

ikon

If you find that yours is actually flat and true you could just jump to the 400 grit stage to give it a nice polish :)

stix01

If you find that yours is actually flat and true you could just jump to the 400 grit stage to give it a nice polish :)

Indeed. I may go as far as do the surface on the cooler and examine temps then do the g1610t also and see if it makes a noticeable difference. If the gain is noticeable I may consider giving my xeon the treatement.

ikon

Lap the CPU itself? Are you sure that's wise?

stix01

Lap the CPU itself? Are you sure that's wise?

I've lapped a few before. I saw a solid 4 deg drop on my 1366 xeon in my gaming machine. I will see how much affect it has on my g1610t loaded with prime and then make the call if it's worth giving the 1260L the treatment. 

LoneWolf

Note that I'm running my Gen8 on the Optimized profile, specs in my sig, and am currently running Folding@home on the Idle-Light setting (which means whenever the system CPU isn't being used by other tasks, it consumes around 50% CPU on each core).

I am using the stock heatsink, unlapped, and have no issues with my 1265L v2.  Probably the only minor change is that I'm using Thermalright Chill Factor 3 thermal paste, which I've found very satisfactory over the past several years.

Edited by LoneWolf

ikon

stix01, interesting. Never heard of anyone doing lapping a CPU.

LoneWolf, it's very likely your CPU and heatsink were properly machined when you received the computer. I think it's pretty unusual to find ones that aren't. IOW, I think Joe_Miner was unlucky.