RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Use Speedfan to cool down Acer H340

ikon

If you feel your H340 is running too hot and/or you get periodic notifications to repair your system drive, try installing Speedfan.

My H340 CPU has dropped from 65C to 52C and the drives from 47C to 34C after installing Speedfan. I do not find it particularly noisier.

One caveat; after installing Speedfan the LED's on the front of the H340 are all off, all the time. This doesn't really bother me cause I found them kinda annoying anyway.

However, if anyone knows of a better way to control the H340 fan, or how to configure Speedfan so the LEDs can work properly, please let me know.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE: not certain what happened, but I installed some Microsoft updates and Speedfan stopped working — the H340 actually rebooted every time I started Speedfan up. So, I uninstalled & re-installed Speedfan. After figuring out, again, how to get Speedfan to control the fans (man it's not intuitive at all), I noticed that the lights on the H340 are working. I don't know whether it was something in the MS updates, or re-installing Speedfan, but all is good now.

Speedfan may be using a .dll (or other file) that Windows uses. The update replaced the file and broke Speedfan. When you re-installed Speedfan you probably rolled back an updated file to an older version. I am not sure what long term effect this could have (having an out of date file).

• 2 weeks later...

Speedfan may be using a .dll (or other file) that Windows uses. The update replaced the file and broke Speedfan. When you re-installed Speedfan you probably rolled back an updated file to an older version. I am not sure what long term effect this could have (having an out of date file).

2 interesting items: 1) why did the front panel LED's stop working after the initial Speedfan install, but then start working after the re-install?

2) subsequent MS updates haven't caused any further issues with Speedfan.