RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Prevent client DNS settings being changed

kamaran

Now I have the connector installed (without being in the domain), I find that each morning all the client PC's have their DNS configured to point to my W2012 R2E server.

I know there was a service that needed to be stopped in R1, but can't find this in my client?  Can anyone advise please?

Edited by kamaran

You would need to remove the DNS role and stop the service and hard code the DNS settings for the client.  But, why not just let the server do it's thing.  It sounds like you have something configured incorrectly.

Yes but it's notably slower going via the server.

Uhhh I wouldn't bet money on that. The server is going to cache DNS requests (as all DNS' do) so it may actually be faster for a lot of your queries.

Ikon is dead on.

Also, if the clients are joined to the domain, they need to configured to use the server for DNS (this is all part of active directory/domains/domain controllers).

If they are not joined to the domain, you can disable the "Windows Server LAN Auto-configuration Service". (which is what re-configures the DNS)

OK in R2 the service is called "Windows Server Essentials Health Service"

If I can change the DNS, and then restart this service, the DNS goes back to the server.