RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Please suggest components for new build for WHS v1 & Virtualized Windows 7

Joshua B

Hi guys. I'm revisiting the idea of building a new box for a headless WHS v1 and taking my first stab at virtualization for Windows 7 on the same box.

WHS will be used for video & audio streaming to an HTPC and the occasional desktop, plus to a few mobile devices (probably up to only 2 total devices at once), and nightly PC backups.

The virtualized Windows 7 will be used for torrents, SABnzbd, Sick Beard, and Couch Potato. Currently, my Core 2 Duo (E4600) HTPC is handling the torrents and usenet downloads, and I'd like to relieve the old girl of these extra duties and move them to the WHS box.

Would it make sense to also move the TV recording duties from my HTPC to the virtualized Windows 7 on the new WHS box?

Regarding hardware for the new build:

Can my OS drive be an SSD? This will be my first go with an SSD.

What motherboard chipset should I look at? Haswell?

Does 8 gigs of RAM sound good?

Please let me know if I can pass along more information that would help you help me.

Thanks!

Josh

Edited by Joshua B

My mind is completely open about how to proceed. I've loved WHS v1 for years and like many, I've stuck with it for the convenience of built in drive pooling.

Would it be way to much to combine all my eggs in one basket and build a new Windows 7 machine for HTPC, then load it up with storage and run StableBit DrivePool? I'd have to look at another backup solution for 2 other PCs, but I'd love to save power and keep just one machine running 24/7.

Can one machine record TV with Media Center, torrent and SABnzbd, stream audio & video to other devices, and play back 1080p content at once?

Edited by Joshua B

I decided to build a machine that I hope can handle it all. Here's what's on the way? Do you think I should also pick up a CPU cooler?

1 x ($199.99) Intel Core i5-4570 Haswell 3.2GHz LGA 1150 84W Qua $199.99

1 x ($154.99) G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DD $154.99

1 x ($129.99) SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold ((SS-650KM Active PFC $129.99

1 x ($114.99) ASUS H87-PRO LGA 1150 Intel H87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s US $114.99

1 x ($109.99) Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl w/ USB 3.0 AT $109.99

1 x ($94.99) Intel 530 Series SSDSC2BW120A4K5 2.5" 120GB MLC $94.99

1 x ($-40.00) DISCOUNT FOR PROMOTION CODE$-40.00

I also have 5 large hard drives and I plan to use StableBit DrivePool.

Edited by Joshua B

My 2 cents: get WHS2011 and use DrivePool with it. That way, you get an even more robust PC backup facility, and you get better drive pooling as well.

My components are scheduled to arrive tomorrow!

Thanks Ikon. But I really want to experiment with StableBit DrivePool on Windows 7 and see if I can do what I need without running a home server. I'm not ruling out some virtualization in the future, especially since I've never done it.

As for backing up the other PCs, I think for now I'll try to save important files on the HTPC/file server box I'm building.

I also planning on rotating two external USB 3 backup drives between home and an outside location.

So excited to try something new after a number of successful years running WHS v1 on a P4 machine. :-) You might have seen I flirted with new builds over the years. Now I'm finally doing it.

Edited by Joshua B
  • Like 1

Well, it really does sound like WHS2011 would be a good fit for you. :)

And worst case, DrivePool can be migrated to a different system/install very very easily (both the license, and the pool itself). 

And Virtualization is fun too. If you're a fully MS home, then HyperV may be more your pace. But that, or ESXi are great solutions. :)

Loving Drivepool so far, and I appreciate how simple it is. Seems like migration is a snap too.

I'm looking forward to BYOB's HyperV intro on an up-coming episode. Yup, fully MS home here in terms of computers.