RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS and mirrored drives

I have a commercial application (it's a booking system for instructors in a small business) which runs happily on Windows Vista or Win7 etc and has been doing so for a couple of years.  The application takes hourly backups of it's back end SQL database and keeps the last 20 backups (I usually set it to 20 but it can be any number).    For extra security I have moved it onto WHS 2011 on a HP microserver and have set up a pair of 500g drives as mirrored drives to receive the backups.   The strange thing is that if I set the program to keep the last 20 backups  it only actually keeps the last 10 according to windows explorer.  I have tried it with different numbers of backups and it always tops out at only half of them.  I am surprised that the presence of a mirrored drive is visible to the program as you would expect it to be hidden by the operating system.  Any thoughts?

Thanks   Dennis

I'm highly skeptical that the program can see the individual drives in a mirrored set, no matter the methodology. Now, using something like DrivePool or DriverBender, etc. might be a different story, but they're not doing true mirroring so I don't count them.

I suspect something else is going on here but, as schoondoggy asked, let's start by getting some details about how the mirror was created.

Drashna Jaelre

I'm highly skeptical that the program can see the individual drives in a mirrored set, no matter the methodology. Now, using something like DrivePool or DriverBender, etc. might be a different story, but they're not doing true mirroring so I don't count them.

I suspect something else is going on here but, as schoondoggy asked, let's start by getting some details about how the mirror was created.

Agreed.

And yes, it's not true mirroring. The data can get out of sync (and will let you know on either product). That's why it's referred to as duplication. Because all files (that are specified to be so) are duplicated.