RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
edpronay

HighPoint RocketRAID 2680 SGL and pre-filled drives.

ikon

Looks all of those cards will erase my hard drives first :( I really need some simple solution, may be 2 separate cards, if they will not conflict with each other. Does anyone has some experience with those? 

I suspect the 2720SGL would not format your drives. And since DrivePool stores all it's pool info on the drives, it should survive intact as well. Mind you, I'm not guaranteeing anything.

The real issue is, do you have backup? If you do, and you most certainly should have multiple backups, then the worst that can happen is the drives get reformatted and you have to copy the data to them from a backup. Not the end of the world IMHO.

edpronay

I'm using Crashplan for anything important, but I will just try one drive first anyway.

Drashna Jaelre

I suspect the 2720SGL would not format your drives. And since DrivePool stores all it's pool info on the drives, it should survive intact as well. Mind you, I'm not guaranteeing anything.

The real issue is, do you have backup? If you do, and you most certainly should have multiple backups, then the worst that can happen is the drives get reformatted and you have to copy the data to them from a backup. Not the end of the world IMHO.

As one with a 2720SGL, if you don't do anything to it, and just use the drive in "legacy" mode, it will pass it on through just fine. SMART data and everything, even.  

ikon

That's the way I feel every RAID card should behave.

edpronay

I ended up buying the ROCKET 2720SGL NON-Raid card. It's does everything I wanted! Thank you guys for your help!