RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
PetieG

Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2 and HP Microserver Gen8 -- Migration

PetieG

Hey there folks!  I ordered (and received) a new, loaded HP Microserver Gen8 model 2020 server, 16GB RAM,  HP SmartArray P410 (w/ 512MB battery), two 128GB SSD RAID1, four 1TB HD's as RAID5 -- AND i was a little weary and expected it to fail miserably on install due to the NIC problems I've been reading about BUT I'm happy to report that it installed just fine using the HP Intelligent Provisioning tool.  It automatically downloaded an iLo BIOS update and a server BIOS update and all is fine -- EXCEPT it never gave me the opportunity to go into Migration mode as I am going to migrate this client's old SBS2003 (mail is already outsources) to this new, sweet box.  Do I have to reinstall to get this box into Migration mode or is there an easier way?  I really don't want a new AD domain because I want the desktop profiles to stay the same... Thoughts?  

TIA, PetieG

jmwills

If you were going SBS to SBS then you could do an easy migration.  I don't know of a migration tool (built in) that can do this.  My observation would be to setup the  user profiles and folders and copy the data over using  a script or similar tool.

SBS is VERY finicky (as you know) about being the only DC on the network unless you are upgrading to a newer version of SBS.

PetieG

Funny, w/ there being NO SBS2012 I guess i'm out of luck -- Looks like a new internal domain and forensit.com profile migration tools... Ugh... NOT happy.  

jmwills

That looks to be the case.  You might want to search the SBS Diva site to see if she has any articles on this becasue I can guarantee you, this has come up before.

Edit:

What about the clients?

PetieG

Yeah, it's those forensicIT tools i may have to use to migrate old domain profile to new domain profile on each PC, but as of right I'm investigating the MS Server Migration Tools... we'll see! 

jem101

Petie

You certainly can migrate from SBS 2003 to 2012 Essentials while keeping the existing domain intact. The method is a variation on the old swing migration procedure used in the 'old days' to go from SBS 2003 to 2008 or 2011.

The most important thing to consider though is do you want to?

The migration method is documented here

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj200112.aspx

My advise would be to read it completely through twice, go away and have a good think about it then come back it read it all through again and only when you are absolutely happy with the procedure then take a deep breath and make a start.

Alternatively - how many PCs and users are we talking about here?

If it is not too many (and they are all fairly well behaved and haven't scattered files all over the shop) then there is a lot to be said for just building a brand-new parallel domain structure (although even then there are a few things to watch out for - DHCP and DNS being high on the list), get all the group policies, user accounts and data structures in place beforehand and then just move the users across over a weekend.

I recently had to do something similar for a 25 user company on SBS 2003 although in their case they wanted to keep the email in-house so I needed to build an virtualized Exchange 2013 infrastructure as well which completely ruled out migration (Exchange 2013 won't talk to 2003). We got the hardware in - built a new Server 2012 domain with a separate Exchange 2013 server and a separate SQL server - all virtual machines, built a new domain, populated it with user and machine accounts, constructed new data structures with matching security groups, new shares using DFS and most importantly could test it all on site over a couple of weeks. Finally we spent a weekend migrating the PCs across and moving the data and email over to the new servers which was accomplished via RoboCopy scripts and a few Exchange powershell commands.

The advantage here of course is that the original server and domain stay intact and can be decommissioned a bit later if and when you are happy that nothing has been forgotten or left behind.

John

jmwills

That's an interesting read.  It's pretty much the old migration process with a few gotchas.

jem101

That's an interesting read.  It's pretty much the old migration process with a few gotchas.

Yes it is essentially the same old method - basically introduce an new server into the existing domain, promote it to a DC, transfer the FSMO roles across, move various functions across, migrate all the user data and finally decommission the old server.

If you are careful then you can almost get away with not having to touch the client PCs at all - and in my experience it is never the server which causes the issues but the weird and wonderful PC settings.

In a way a migration to 2012 Essentials is quite a bit easier that the old migrate to SBS 2008 or 2011 procedure as at least you don't have to worry about Exchange or Sharepoint.

John 

jmwills

It is good to know the old system basically still works.  The critical point for readers here is the 21 day limit.  The source server will quit working after 21 days so , tick tock.

PetieG

So far so good for my pre-migration stuff... just working out DNS issues.  The Windows Server 2012 Essentials Migration Prep tool installed fine (after clearing up some issues)... so i'll work on copying data over, installing quickbooks server, etc.  and do a FINAL data delta copy when i do the migration sometime next week.  It's about 14 PCs w/ a few Macs.  I don't want to steal the FISMO roles just yet, but I think this isn't so bad -- it's just been a hell of a lot of research as to the 'best' way to do it.  I'll keep ya'll posted as I progress.