RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Anti-virus

geek-accountant

I am currently running the WHS version (Family Pack or something) of Avast on all of our computers. However, one a recent trip to my mother-in-laws she complained her computer was running slow. Knowing how she is with computers, there was either nothing wrong or she had done something crazy. I quickly noticed she had THREE anti-virus programs installed and running. Of course she has no idea how they got there and asked me why would someone do that to her computer. Someone? Who is this Someone? She is the only one in the house and they only one using the computer.

Anyway, I uninstalled all 3 and installed Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE). I have never used this program before, but it seemed already and I have sense loaded it in a couple of VM session. Now I am wondering if I should not renew my 1yr Avast plan and just switch all the computers over to MSE. I do also have anti-virus at the router level (Kaspersky), but still want a good program on each computer (I have two boys, age 14 and almost 11 and of course all of their friends). Does anyone else use MSE? If so, how does it compare to Avast or other top programs in terms of detection, speed and system resources?

I used to put Avast free version on everyone's computers, but I've since switched to MSE. Detection seems fine. It caught some baddies on a PC I was cleaning up - mp3's dl'd via Limewire. Say no more. Speed? Seems fast. Resources seem fairly light, but keep in mind that some people, early on, reported that the main process was using a lot of CPU. I haven't seen it, but I know someone who ran into this. This was around the time it first came out, so it might have been squared away by now.

Would I recommend it? Yes. But you know how kids can be. Have a good clean backup ready. :-)

I'm curious what you mean by '...anti-virus at the router level (Kaspersky)'. Could you explain what you're doing?

My router is actually a PC running Xenserver (bare metal virtualization). On this machine I have pfSense as the router and Untangle as the UTM. Untangle comes with a light weight virus scanner, but I added Kaspersky for some heavier protection. This means that anything coming from the internet first goes through the router then goes through Untangle (which amoung other things, includes the anti-virus).

I was worried at first that running everything through both a router and a UTM would slow things down, but I have never noticed any slow down. I play a LOT of Call of Duty on the Xbox360 and have never noticed lag issues related to my connection.

Guest no-control

I switched from Avast! to MSE and I actually prefer it. It running on all of my machines and I also install it on clients machines. I don't use AV on my servers, personal preference. I have a 13 year old and MCE seems to do a fairly good job, but he's 13 so need I say more? MSE is great light (& free) program. If I was going to pay for a suite...I've heard good things about Norton's new stuff.

MaxPC did a great review of some AV programs.

OK, sounds like I will be moving everyone over to MSE once my Avast license runs out. I will miss the ability to do some admin functions through the WHS console like I can with Avast.

I hear you on that. I really liked that ability. You should hit up the Connect forums under Feedback (on the left) and make a comment about that. I already did. WHS-compatible MSE is actually the #1

Most Up-Voted Active Suggestion