RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Backup Failures

mernst

OK, I need help. I run the WHS v1 and do nightly backups of all my home computers, 5 in all. Everything appeared to be working fine. My problems all started when a Laptop got a virus and in the process of removing it, the C drive became corrupted. No big deal, I did a clean install of Windows and then proceeded to restore my backup for the laptop. But, I get to 81% and get the same error that I now find all over the internet. I tired to open multiple backups from multiple computers and every file has the same error - 81% and I get the typical Z drive error.

So next I try to follow steps I find in various sources. But first I copied the entire 00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4 folder from the WHS computer to a new computer I had with a lot of free hard drive space.

I then ran the Cleanup Now and Repair on WHS. Still no success. Then I found the article at http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/cf354b5d-b37b-4b7f-a0d5-8e573697777f/how-to-recover-data-after-server-failure?forum=whsfaq. And I found the document titled: Technical Brief - Home Computer Backup and Restore.

I attempted to do a WHS repair (reinstall) and the setup could not find the existing WHS installation. So I did a clean install of WHS allowing it to format all drives. Everything was now working fine (I think).  I then followed the steps to retrieve my data - stop PDL and WHSBackup. Copy the data back to the WHS drives and start back WHSBackup and PDL. WHS tells me the data is corrupt and needs repaired. I allow it to do so and after a few hours I am notified that all backups are bad and have been lost. However they are all still in the WHs data file folder. I tried a second time and same results.

Does anyone have any other ideas? I still have that backup copy of all of the data files on the new PC. I am mainly concerned with getting the data for the crashed laptop since all other computers are still running fine and I can backup them up all over again.

Please help.

Mike

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jcollison

• jmwills

• Technogod

• mernst

I am not sure - how do I check the integrity?

Are you speaking of the drive in WHS? There are multiple drive (3 at 1TB and 1 at 1.5TB) After the reinstall of WHS all are reporting as good.

The backup copy on the other PC is on an almost new drive. Again that PC has 3 1.5TB drives.

Edited by mernst

That drive is working fine. In fact after the clean install of WHS it has already done a backup of desktop PC. And it started the .dat file numbering at Data.4096.338.dat (it picked up after the last number of all the files I copied back to WHS).

Sounds like corrupted data in the backup database. Happened to me recently. I found no way to recover. My disks and database also checked fine. This was my parents WHS V1. I moved them to WHS 2011 because it does a better job of making sure backup data isn't corrupted. I was able to recover most of my data files by using WHS V1 file recovery.

Edited by Technogod

What is the WHS V1 file recovery? Are you talking about the built in Repair function or something else? I also have WHS 2011 but I could not figure out how to get it to back up entire computers on a schedule and so I uninstalled it and went back to V1.

1.Open Windows Home Server Console

2.View Backup Details for a given PC

3.Click Open… to create a view into what that hard drive looked like at that date & time

•Virtual Disk Driver that creates a Read/Only view displayed in Windows Explorer from the data on Windows Home Server

4.User can drag and drop files & folders from the Windows Explorer window to their PC desktop

Aaah. That does not / did not work. I get to 81% on every file - no matter which client PC I select - and the open stops and I get errors referring to Z drive and needing formatting (sorry I am being vague but I am beyond that error and I can no longer recreate it to be specific). That is what got me started down the path I am on now. I have all of the backups but can find no way to read any of them (I copied them over to another non WHS PC).I only need to recover one of them - all other client PCs are intact and alive and well.

Make sure you are running at least WHS Power Pack 2. WHS Power Pack 3 is preferred. Try booting the Client Restore CD from a computer on your network. Remove the hard drive from the computer and install a clean hard drive. That way when you perform the restore it won't overwrite your current data.

Edited by Technogod