RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Hibernate and wake in Microserver G8

kamaran

I finally have my G8 up and running with Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials.

I have enabled Hibernate from the powercfg command prompt

I installed the LightsOut addin (not HP iLO) and find that it will begin to put the G8 into Hibernate or shutdown, however as soon as it completes, the server starts back up again immediately. So it almost seems like a reboot!

This worked fine in my G7 N36L

Can anyone advise where I'm going wrong? I can't see any options to enable Hibernate in the Bios.

I'm using the b120i with a SSD in the primary drive.

Edited by kamaran

Have you disabled Wake-on-pattern in the network card drivers? Only one to leave set is wake-on-lan.

Also ensure no USB devices are bringing out. The trackpad on my diNovo edge keyboard needed altering so it wasn't allowed to wake the server.

• Like 1

Have you disabled Wake-on-pattern in the network card drivers? Only one to leave set is wake-on-lan.

Also ensure no USB devices are bringing out. The trackpad on my diNovo edge keyboard needed altering so it wasn't allowed to wake the server.

That was it - thank you Sir!

• 1 month later...

I also installed LightsOut addin in my WHS 2011, and the same thing happened to me: the server was waking in middle of the night. PowerCfg /lastwake reports zero activity, which puzzles me.

I just checked the network card driver properties and it indeed has wake-on-pattern enabled. HOWEVER, "allow this device to wake the computer" is disabled. So that effectively means the network card should not be waking the server, right?

Any recommendations on how to track what is causing the server to wakeup? Is there something that iLo does at 6 AM that causes the server to start?

Also, is it recommended to use hibernate on gen8 server? I suppose servers are designed to be on all the time instead powered on and off every day like a desktop PC. I wonder if this constant on/off cycle can cause problems in the future.

1. how about disabling wake-on-pattern and seeing if it helps?

2. generally, I find that computers do actually last longer if they're just left running. I have, in the past, shut down a computer that has been running fine for many months and, upon reboot, it suddenly fails to start. I'm not sure there's any hard and fast rule about it, but it does seem to happen.

1. but the option "allow this device to wake the computer" is not enabled, then it should matter what the options say. Right?

2. I tend to agree on that, but then it becomes a quest to find ways to use minimum energy possible during downtimes. I know there is the "minimum power" option in the BIOS, which I am already using. Are there any other ways to help use less energy? For example, is there a way to keep the hard drives turned off from 10 PM to 8 AM?

1. that might make logical sense, but it also might not work. That's why I suggested trying it. It's a small experiment. If it helps then you know the original logic is faulty. If it doesn't, well, nothing really lost, is there? :)

Movedor,

I'm looking for the same thing to make the MS-G8 as efficient as possible but without shut down, hibernate or sleep. for the same reason Ikon mentioned. 

In G8 bios there are a lot of setting for power efficiency. (power regulators are accessible from ILO too - Power Management -->Power Settings) 

Here is a link from hp http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00300430.pdf giving details to all these settings

I'm playing too with the settings and when I'll find a golden recipe I'll let you know. Please let me know if you find it too. 

Basically you can use profiles but you can make your own profile by manually tweak all power settings from bios.

The manual explains very well. 

By default the MS-G8 is on balanced profile. I've just set it to the low power profile to see if there is any difference. 

Anyway I think I need also a consumption monitor to see if it is really helpful. Also I'll check the performance drop, if is any noticeable difference. 

cheers, 

teo

Edited by TeoCiontu