RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Advice on best way to setup raid Gen 8

tomcoleman

I have a HP Gen 8 micro server

I would like to have the drives in RAID 5 by using either windows server 2008 / 2012.

I noticed that the drives dont appear in windows untill you push F5 at boot and add them to the HP array.

My question is do i create 4 arrays with each array having its own drive, then in windows RAID 5 these?

Or do i put them as one array with 4 drives which it will only allow me todo raid 0 then RAID 5 these in windows.

Do you have a HP Raid Controller? if so you will have a boot up option.

Hardware RAID is create before the OS install. You will see it on boot up...the car listed, with options.

Edited by samuk

Ideally, you would want to configure the RAID in hardware with a separate controller card, or failing that use the motherboard raid controller. You don't have a RAID card and the motherboard can only do RAID 0 or 1. You were right the first time, create four individual 'arrays' which the OS will see as four separate disks - you can then software raid them from within Windows.

Software raid is really not a good idea though, if you can then see if you can't get hold of a controller card, it'll be much more reliable.

John 

cheers for the replies.

I dont have a proper raid 5 card so will have to go with the software for now.

I also need to connect my 8 bay DAS which is on a SATA mutiplier card and software RAID the lot together.

At the moment im using Windows 2012 R2 and it reboots/BSODs when i go to device manager allot so switching back to WIN2K8

Try a clean install of 2012 R2.

This was a clean install of 2012 R2 - Seems to be 100% stabl but when you start configuring and going into device manager it reboots im using RDP & logmein