RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WSE12 SSD OS drive wearing out?

Jason

I have WSE12 installed on a Crucial M4 256 GB SSD.  Have disabled indexing on C: and moved the pagefile to a spindle HDD.  Raxco Perfectdisk recognizes the OS drive as an SSD and isn't scheduling frequent defrag tasks as Windows has disabled it's own defrag of my OS HDD upon detecting a SSD.

This server runs 24x7 with infrequent reboots.

I check Crystaldisk periodically and it's reporting that the "health" of my SSD OS drive is declining quicker than I ever expected.

It has gone from 84% down to 81% within a week which seems crazy.  Either the program is buggy or something is causing this drive to work harder than it should be.

Does anyone have suggestions of what they do on their server OS SSD drives to avoid this?  Thanks!

I would need to do a little research on how Crystal measures health. I am guessing the drive is OK and Crystal is confusing garbage collection for wear. Have you check Crucial's web site for their recommendation on health testing.

• Like 1

Also, while you have have disabled indexing on C:\, did you disable the server altogether? (I'd hope not). Also, have you MOVED the database to a different drive as well?

And what about the hibernate file (whether you use the feature or not).

And have you installed any other database programs (like MS-SQL, WIndows Internal Database, mySQL, etc)?

Also, while you have have disabled indexing on C:\, did you disable the server altogether? (I'd hope not). Also, have you MOVED the database to a different drive as well?

And what about the hibernate file (whether you use the feature or not).

And have you installed any other database programs (like MS-SQL, WIndows Internal Database, mySQL, etc)?

Not sure what you mean by disabling the server altogether?  I don't believe so?  Yes.  I also moved the index database to the same spindle drive where my pagefile now resides.  I didn't make any change to hibernate - wasn't aware of what/how to do that.

No other database programs installed.

Sorry, I meant service. I wasn't paying attention to what I was typing.

As for hibernate, you can turn i on or off, or change the compression. to turn it off, run "powercfg /hibernate off".

And no, they're not. 

Make sure that schoondoggy is right. I suspect that Crystal Marks is calculating something "funnily", and not accurate.

Have you checked the pure SMART data with something like HD Sentinel or StableBit Scanner?

CrystalDiskInfo does the same thing to my Corsair Neutron SSD. It looks like a bug. If I used Corsair Toolbox it checks fine. If you have an OS that supports TRIM, Windows 7 or later I don't change any settings. My WHS 2011 has an SSD for the OS but I don't have any data files or computer backups on the D drive.

OK. I will check Crucial's site for their own utility. Will stop using CrystalInfo. I've since moved the index database off to a spindle drive. Seems I had done all except that. Yes, the drive does support TRIM and all data/shares has been moved to my RAID array including client backup data.

Mght want to get a second opinion. SSDLife is a quick install and the pro version has a free beta you can check out:

http://ssd-life.com/SSDLifePro_beta.exe

Example from my Samsung 840 is below. Of course, Samsung has their excellent Samsung Magician software which I trust implicitly, but the SSDLife software works for all versions.

SSDLife.jpg