RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
kamaran

Gen8 MS: Anyone Sucessfully Installing Server 2012 R2 Essentials on a Gen8 MicroServer

schoondoggy

Make sure you have updated all of the firmware on the Gen 8.

woward

Has anybody succeeded in making the Gen8 Microserver running WSE 2012 into a "Headless" server?  I'd like to just stick this box in a closet and manage it from a remote client or a browser.  The hang-up I've seen so far is it seems to require first hitting Ctrl-Alt-Del and then typing a password to start the OS anytime it is restarted or when it recovers from a power loss.  That action needs a keyboard and a monitor to know what is going on.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bill

jmwills

Recovering from a power loss should not require any action on your part.

schoondoggy

You can do that through iLo essentials that came with the server;

Virtual Key Video Mouse
remote text console for
HP ProLiant
Embedded hardware remote console capabilities in a text mode screen prior to loading of the operating
system; is provided as a standard feature on all ProLiant Integrated Lights-Out (iLO) management
processors. This provides access to system BIOS and during Power-On System start-up testing using
Virtual KVM technology. Remote text in "pre-OS" mode is accessible from the Integrated Remote Console
and the Java applet Remote Console. The Java applet supports both Microsoft® and Sun Java® software.
or this is included in iLo advanced;
Virtual Key Video and
Mouse graphic console for
HP ProLiant
HP iLO graphical consoles provide Virtual KVM capabilities with KVM over IP performance. This gives
system administrators a single console that is responsive and agile for routine administration and
emergency situations. iLO Virtual KVM works with a standard browser and no additional software is
required on the remote server or client system for iLO 2. HP iLO 3 and iLO 4 require the .NET Framework
3.5, which is already provided with Windows® 7.

woward

schoondoggy - Does that mean I have to purchase the optional iLO Essentials license just to avoid having to intervene every time the server is first powered up or rebooted?  There must be some standard way to avoid having to hit Crtl-Alt-Del and enter a password just to turn the server on?

Bill

schoondoggy

Essentials is free.

It is already on your system.

If your concern is a power outage, as JMwils says above, you should not need to do anything.

Edited by schoondoggy

woward

Ok, my bad - I just realized that when the server reboots from a power loss it reloads the server portion of the WSE software on its own.  It is only asking for the Ctrl-Alt-Del & password if I want to log into the WSE console and access the system. 

P Bender

My G8 has just cone back to my supplier. Had it running with 2x 2 TB in SATA modus with WSE 2012 (not R2, which did not work at all, neither did RAID 1) for about 1,5 day in "trial use" Came in the office this morning and I had a "red screen" ie the system had (again) crashed.

I'm done for now with the G8. I got a G7 now and will see / test if that's working with WSE 2013 R2

FYI I used 16 GB Kingston memory

Edited by P Bender

tangcla

hmm, I've got my gen8 Microserver (G2020t) and have WSE2012 Standard R2 coming - will Standard have the same issues as Essentials?

I plan on using this with my P410 from my N40L (and taking all the drive arrays across with me, intact) so the B120i can run in SATA-AHCI mode.

schoondoggy

hmm, I've got my gen8 Microserver (G2020t) and have WSE2012 Standard R2 coming - will Standard have the same issues as Essentials?

I plan on using this with my P410 from my N40L (and taking all the drive arrays across with me, intact) so the B120i can run in SATA-AHCI mode.

The P410 works fine in the Gen 8, but iLo does not see it because the P410 is not currently supported on the Gen 8.