RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
kamaran

Gen8 MS: Anyone Sucessfully Installing Server 2012 R2 Essentials on a Gen8 MicroServer

kamaran

Just bought a g8 and tried to install R2 2012 using Intelligent Provisioning.

Having wasted the last few hours with KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_ERRORS, can I assume that this is going to be a no Go for now?

UPDATE:The short answer is to use the 2008 R2 driver (cp020926) and all will be well until HP release a certified driver in 2014. See post #65

schoondoggy

Does your G8 have the latest BIOS?

You can use Intelligent provisioning to update it.

schoondoggy

I had the same issue the first time I installed it.

I just tried it again and it seems to be running fine.

I think I have updated all the firmware since the last time I tried running it.

I have the B120i enabled and have a single drive RAID 0, set up.

Also, I did the install without using Intelligent Provisioning, I had meant to just forgot.

kamaran

Thanks for the replies schoondoggy, upgrading the BIOS was the first thing I did,  I'm not using the B120i or RAID.

Looks like R2 doesn't work with intelligent provisioning - http://h20195.www2.hp.com/V2/GetPDF.aspx%2F4AA4-7658ENW.pdf , R2 isn't listed in the intelligent provisioning options, I tried using Essentials (R1) and and standard 64-bit (R1), both had the same issues.

What are the advantages of using Intelligent Provisioning?  Does it make a big difference?

Also any idea if I can install R1 and then upgrade within windows without issues?

Help please :(

Edited by kamaran

jem101

Intelligent provisioning is just a new fancy name for what used to be HP's SmartStart disks. To install a Server OS on an HP server, you could just boot it off of a standard MS install disk but inevitably it would fail as it wouldn't find any hard disks etc. and you would have to go through the annoyance of downloading all the required drivers and inserting the USB key at the right moment. And even then spend an enjoyable afternoon finding all of the hardware which didn't work and installing updated drivers for them.

On the other hand if you booted the new server with a supplied SmartStart disk, it would have all of the drivers already on it and could check and download updates (including firmware) for you. It could then setup the disk arrays, partition it and generally just get on with installing the OS for you.

And no you can't install 2012 and then do an in-place upgrade to R2 - they are separate operating systems.

John 

kamaran

I had the same issue the first time I installed it.

I just tried it again and it seems to be running fine.

I think I have updated all the firmware since the last time I tried running it.

I have the B120i enabled and have a single drive RAID 0, set up.

Also, I did the install without using Intelligent Provisioning, I had meant to just forgot.

Still can't get this working, are you using R2 essentials?

Can you give me a step by step to how you did this?  I'm using a bootable USB on a new G8 machine

I install the drivers for the B120i but after first reboot Windows keeps experiencing 'problems'.  It's even worse than when I used intelligent provisioning.

Edited by kamaran

schoondoggy

I am running Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials Preview Evaluation copy Build 9431.

I am loading from a DVD drive connected to the SATA port on the motherboard.

I have one 1TB SATA drive connected to the B120i.

B120i is enabled in BIOS.

While booting I entered ACU for the B120i and created a single drive RAID 0.

The system is connected to the network. Boots to the DVD and starts installing.

I did not need to load a driver for the B120i.

After everything was done updating and rebooting, I only needed to load drivers for the graphics and iLo.

My system BIOS is J06 08/24/2013.

My iLo firmware is 1.30.

kamaran

I am running Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials Preview Evaluation copy Build 9431.

I am loading from a DVD drive connected to the SATA port on the motherboard.

I have one 1TB SATA drive connected to the B120i.

B120i is enabled in BIOS.

While booting I entered ACU for the B120i and created a single drive RAID 0.

The system is connected to the network. Boots to the DVD and starts installing.

I did not need to load a driver for the B120i.

After everything was done updating and rebooting, I only needed to load drivers for the graphics and iLo.

My system BIOS is J06 08/24/2013.

My iLo firmware is 1.30.

My system BIOS is also J06 08/24/2013.

My iLo firmware is also 1.30.

I'm using the full (not an evaluation version).

I have also changed my processor to a Xeon E3-1230v2 - I wonder if this is causing some of the issues...

neonkoala

Can we move Gen8 discussion to a different thread as its a different issue? Thanks :)

schoondoggy

My system BIOS is also J06 08/24/2013.

My iLo firmware is also 1.30.

I'm using the full (not an evaluation version).

I have also changed my processor to a Xeon E3-1230v2 - I wonder if this is causing some of the issues...

I am running a E3-1220L. 

I will try a clean install of the production version, but that will be a few days out.

Can we move Gen8 discussion to a different thread as its a different issue? Thanks :)

Good point,

Thanks