RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

From Show 91 - How do you feel about using an SSD drive as your Sys drive?

jcollison

In show 91, we talked about using an SSD drive as the system drive. At the current price points, would you consider using an SSD? Do you think it would be worth it for the improvements in response times?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dvn

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• pcdoc

• icy_roland

My two main systems have 120 gig OCZ Vertex SSD, Data, games,and misc on a "D" drive, and a third drive for local backup. My two HTPC's use the 60 gig version of the same drive and I just got two other 60 gigs Vertex for my other systems. Have not tried it on a WHS yet. Both laptops are also using the 120 gig Vertex.

I'm new to WHS and I'm running Vail on my new build. SSD is an extra cost that I have no justification for at this time.

On a typical WHS you wouldn't really take advantage of an SSD. The data is stored on the larger "spinning" disks and fast boot isn't really applicable since the server is usually on all the time.

I suppose there may be other advantages like lower power?

I have been kicking it around for Vail when the final version is released. Another thought is to see if I can use two 10,000 rpm disks in a striped array.

I do agree with cskenney to some degree related to data on the shares, however if you are running any heavy add-ins like my movies or or software like sharepoint, you will probably see significant improvement. Not to mention using the connector would be much faster.

Is an SSD less prone to failure? (no moving parts?). If so then I would consider it as a system drive on that basis alone.

Theoritically they are but I have already had one go bad on me. But that is why we have WHS backup. Bac in business in about 15 minutes.

For me, the speed of the WHS system drive has never really been an issue, so I don't know if I would really get the "bang for the buck" from a SSD vs a SATA drive. I would rather spend the extra money on another drive for the storage pool.

Guest no-control

Yeah unless its a virtual server that would benefit from the high i/o speeds I don't see any reason to use an SSD for a system drive for WHS.

I've had 2 SSD's out of the 6 I've owned go "bad" so I would say reliability right now isn't really that great over a spindle drive. The cost:Performance ratio just isn't there either to be used in a home server environment.

Going back to the podcast the more I play with it the more I think using RAID1 for system drives isn't really all that.

@no-control - Sorry to hear about your "bad" SSD's. This validates why I'm nervous about shelling out a premium for these drives. I'm biding my time. Maybe in another year when price and problems/failure rates come down.