Sign in to follow this  
timantra

graphic card

timantra

Hello,

Hp microserver gen8 G2020T

16 g RAM

esxi 5.5

VM windows 7 professional (8g RAM allocated)

RDP 8 installed, remote FX activated

I use my old PC (emachine atom windows xp home edition sp3) as "thin client" and acccess the VM with RDP 7 (there seems to be no update to RDP 7.1 or 8 available for Win XP).

This works well and much faster as the native windows XP.

But there is major drawback, as playing video over RDP is very poor. I could play videos over the native OS, but this is not very elegant.

I tried other remote protocols, as splashtop, ericom blaze, but no significant improvement.

So here my questions:

Does it make sense to install a PCL e graphics card on the hp microserver and what are compatible PCL e cards?

Are there other means to improve video ?

LoneWolf

Whether you install a PCIe graphics card in the Gen8 Microserver really depends on what your future plans for its expansion for.  Personally, I find the available slot is much more useful for a hardware RAID card, or eSATA, or something you'd really use a server for.

This is secondary to your issue though.  Why are you playing videos through an RDP session when you could just be setting up a network share, accessing it from your client workstation, and playing videos that way?  RDP is always going to be a poor solution for video playback, and adding a new video card to your Microserver is not going to change that.  Playing videos off a shared folder directly onto your Atom system will produce better performance.  Note also that upgrading the video card in your Gen8 Microserver will not assist you in video playback unless you're actually playing video from the Microserver direct to a monitor.

Edited by LoneWolf

timantra

thanks for your very useful reaction.

So i will not spend money for a graphic card, and reserve the PCle slot for other purposes.

This is my first experience with a "server"

The microserver is not used as a mediaserver.

I wanted to get familiar with virtualization and as an exercice replace my wife's slow  win xp by a faster virtual machine, and so not to have to replace the old hardware.

Also I want to create my own cloud desktop accessible on the LAN but also from outside with HTML5 access.

But for  good user experience, video playback (i mean youtube or videos on websites ),should be of acceptable quality.

I wondered if PCOIP or VNC would be better.

But for PCOIP i have to install a lot of features from vmware who are not free.

Any suggestions?

jmwills

I wanted to get familiar with virtualization and as an exercice replace my wife's slow  win xp by a faster virtual machine, and so not to have to replace the old hardware.

You still have to have a physical machine to access the VM.

ikon

Hate to say it, but I think you're going to be disappointed with the route you're taking. By 'thin client', I'm assuming you want the client computer to do nothing but connect to the VM and live there. Is this correct? If so, then you will have to live with the advantages, and limitations, of VMs; one of which is that video playback is going to pretty much suck.

timantra

Well, I guess I have to accept these limitations. But the system is working nicely, and my wife has adopted here "new PC", as it is accessible from every device and from everywhere, and all files are allways up to date.

By the way, I installed Devin IT VDI blaster on an old laptop with 256 RAM, and I can run a Windows 8 VM over RDP with acceptable performance!

I will keep on looking for methods to improve video performance.

Thanks