• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• st3lvio

• jmwills

• jem101

• diehard

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Quite right your DNS resolution is shot. Just use the IP address for the server instead of the name for now.   What's the IP address of the server and, more importantly, what DNS server is the Win 7

st3lvio can you do an ipconfig/all command on the 8.1 workstation which is working ok (I assume that is on the domain) and post the results. The issue you are having now is because we never really fixed the initial problem, we 'fiddled' a solution by putting the IP address of the server into the browser to download the client connector but resolution of the name is still not correct.

And I'm going to stick my head above the parapet and guess it's the DNS search suffix on your router's DHCP scope.

What is your internal domain name called (let's assume it's mydomain.local)?

What go you get if you ping st3lvio and also st3lvio.mydomain.local

Your ping test result above don't tell us mush because rather than ping the server by name, you are doing it by IP address with the -a switch which will return the name but not if it was able to properly resolve it.

I'm willing to bet that in the first case it resolves and pings to st3lvio.hsd1.ca.comcast.net (I can't tell exactly from the screenshots)

John 

Would you mind just modifying the ping from the HTPC

ping stelvio -4

and

ping stelvio.<whateveryourdomain>.local -4

the -4 switch will force it to respond with the IPv4 address (just lazyness, the v6 is a bit extra work to check).

John

HTPC ping of server & server.domainname.local:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\HTPC1>ping stelvio

Pinging stelvio.hsd1.ca.comcast.net [XX.XXX.XX.XXX] with 32 bytes of data:  <<<I've crossed out the IP as it is of the Comcast.net I believe - NOT my IP given when I goto "what's I IP.com" >>>

Reply from xx.xxx.xx.xxx: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=55
Reply from xx.xxx.xx.xxx: bytes=32 time=32ms TTL=55
Reply from xx.xxx.xx.xxx: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=55

Ping statistics for xx.xxx.xx.xxx:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 20ms, Maximum = 32ms, Average = 23ms

C:\Users\HTPC1>ping stelvio.<mydomainname>.local

Pinging stelvio.<mydomainname>.local [192.168.0.110] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.0.110: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.110:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:\Users\HTPC1>

what does this show?

Would you mind just modifying the ping from the HTPC

ping stelvio -4

and

ping stelvio.<whateveryourdomain>.local -4

the -4 switch will force it to respond with the IPv4 address (just lazyness, the v6 is a bit extra work to check).

John

OK, just saw your post with the -4 switch here's the results:

C:\Users\HTPC1>ping stelvio -4

Pinging stelvio.hsd1.ca.comcast.net [xx.xxx.xx.xxx] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from xx.xxx.xx.xxx: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=55

Reply from xx.xxx.xx.xxx: bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=55

Ping statistics for xx.xxx.xx.xxx:                                                       <<< again I hid the Comcast ip - just in case <<<

Minimum = 19ms, Maximum = 27ms, Average = 21ms

C:\Users\HTPC1>ping stelvio.<mydomainname>.local -4

Pinging stelvio.,mydomainname>.local [192.168.0.110] with 32 bytes of data:

What's this show? My workstation was not pinging out to the Comcast ip - what does that mean & show us?

I get the feeling & hoping this may be an issue with my router?

Edited by st3lvio

Also, just noticed that a few hours ago the Launchpad icon in my taskbar is GREEN (connected to server) again - although it is GRAY after a re-boot for several minutes/hours. When I attempt to log-in via the Launchpad - I get "Server is OffLine" BUT - after signing into "offline" mode and hitting my folder shares via the Launchpad only - they all come up & I can access & play media just fine???

Hitting backup fails & tells my Backup is not set up on the computer (which it's not as the server wouldn't successfully create the backup)

Although, in the Server's Dashboard - It shows the User (HTPC1) has all green lights (passes security criteria, etc)

I'm stumped and may go messing with the router next (although not until I get home - as I'm accessing my systems via LogMeIn from work)

OK, just saw your post with the -4 switch here's the results:

C:\Users\HTPC1>ping stelvio -4

Pinging stelvio.hsd1.ca.comcast.net [xx.xxx.xx.xxx] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from xx.xxx.xx.xxx: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=55

Reply from xx.xxx.xx.xxx: bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=55

Ping statistics for xx.xxx.xx.xxx:                                                       <<< again I hid the Comcast ip - just in case <<<

Minimum = 19ms, Maximum = 27ms, Average = 21ms

C:\Users\HTPC1>ping stelvio.<mydomainname>.local -4

Pinging stelvio.,mydomainname>.local [192.168.0.110] with 32 bytes of data:

Bingo I think!

Right when you try to ping the server by name, because the HTPC is not on the domain it is appending the DNS search suffix hsd1.ca.comcast.net to the server name and trying to ping that. That address resolves ok (by the way there is no point hiding the IP address since you have given the name away already), doesn't get a response and so assumes that the server doesn't exist. Now sometimes (and it's all a bit random) it may well get some kind of response by sending out a broadcast and getting a valid answer back from the proper server but you certainly can't rely on that working.

So  unfortunately it is something you need to fix on the router, and how you do it depends on what router it is, but in general terms you need to find the settings for DHCP scope and see if you can find out how to change the DNS domain name it is giving out. At the moment it is giving out hsd1.ca.comcast.net and you need to change that to be 

<yourdomainname>.local although I think you gave the actual value away earlier as being lepke.local (don't worry about security issues the local internal domain name means nothing to anyone outside of your network - I can't use it to find out anything about you).

Anyway see if you can't change that setting, release and renew the IP lease on the HTPC (or just reboot it) and see if that fixes the issue.

If you can't find where the setting it, post the model type of your router, I'm sure someone on here will have the same model and can help out. Worse case scenario, we'll have to set up DHCP on the server instead of running it on the router.

John 

Come to think of it, I suppose we could fiddle the name resolution with an entry in the hosts file but let's see if you can get anywhere with the DHCP setting on the router first.

John

Bingo I think!

Right when you try to ping the server by name, because the HTPC is not on the domain it is appending the DNS search suffix hsd1.ca.comcast.net to the server name and trying to ping that. That address resolves ok (by the way there is no point hiding the IP address since you have given the name away already), doesn't get a response and so assumes that the server doesn't exist. Now sometimes (and it's all a bit random) it may well get some kind of response by sending out a broadcast and getting a valid answer back from the proper server but you certainly can't rely on that working.

So  unfortunately it is something you need to fix on the router, and how you do it depends on what router it is, but in general terms you need to find the settings for DHCP scope and see if you can find out how to change the DNS domain name it is giving out. At the moment it is giving out hsd1.ca.comcast.net and you need to change that to be 

<yourdomainname>.local although I think you gave the actual value away earlier as being lepke.local (don't worry about security issues the local internal domain name means nothing to anyone outside of your network - I can't use it to find out anything about you).

Anyway see if you can't change that setting, release and renew the IP lease on the HTPC (or just reboot it) and see if that fixes the issue.

If you can't find where the setting it, post the model type of your router, I'm sure someone on here will have the same model and can help out. Worse case scenario, we'll have to set up DHCP on the server instead of running it on the router.

John 

Come to think of it, I suppose we could fiddle the name resolution with an entry in the hosts file but let's see if you can get anywhere with the DHCP setting on the router first.

John

OK, thanks John.

D-Link has an on-line emulator of the DIR-655 (which is posted http://www.support.dlink.com/emulators/dir655/133NA/Basic_Network.html )

The page I linked to shows:

1) Under Router Settings to add the local domain (So I'll add <mydomainname.local> here?

2) You Mention "DHCP scope" - which the DIR-655 shows NetBIOS Scope (not sure if that's the same)

I'll try #1 first and re-boot the HTPC

Thanks

A Scope in DHCP refers to the whole set of parameters which the DHCP server gives out to the clients. Other than the obvious IP address, gateway address, DNS server address etc. there are actually a huge range of other details which the client might need but you really only see these on big DHCP setups on servers - they don't really apply to the DHCP service in a domestic router. I may possible have confused you by using that term especially that the word 'scope' have have a number of different meanings depending on the circumstances.

When you reboot the HTPC, do an ipconfig/all on it - what you are looking for is the DNS suffix at the top for the local are connection to say your local domain name rather than the Comcast (WAN) name.

John