RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Malwarebytes Important Information

joem

Speaking of which... and yet again why you should subscribe to Susan Bradley's blog (especially if you're using 2012 (R2) Essentials).

http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2013/11/13/batten-down-the-hatches-for-cryptolocker.aspx

Also, Malware and ESET are two of the five scanners that have picked up a new variant.

https://www.virustotal.com/en-gb/file/96d6e3a19d9f529dd1c8cda5460a77d1f9286213b1d8f42f4d1fb146a9132acf/analysis/1384270918/

http://blog.dynamoo.com/2013/11/important-new-outlook-settings-spam.html

And yes, you should be scared shitless by these cryptovirus attacks.

To clarify, Malwarebytes Pro can prevent and remove Cryptolocker infections, while Malwarebytes Free can only remove. Malwarebytes Pro can do both since it actively prevents execution of detected files, and we currently detect known Cryptolocker variants.

However, neither product can recover your personal files that were encrypted by a Cryptolocker infection. This is because you need the private key that's hosted on a "secret server" ( google asymmetric encryption for more info on this).

As HSS-Dave said, it's possible we could miss a new variant. I can assure you though, any Ransomers we miss get top priority, and we update our definitions multiple times daily to stay on top of things.

joem, it sounds like you were testing against a sample we've somehow missed. If that's the case, could you please share?

Source: I work for Malwarebytes

• Like 1

To clarify, Malwarebytes Pro can prevent and remove Cryptolocker infections, while Malwarebytes Free can only remove. Malwarebytes Pro can do both since it actively prevents execution of detected files, and we currently detect known Cryptolocker variants.

However, neither product can recover your personal files that were encrypted by a Cryptolocker infection. This is because you need the private key that's hosted on a "secret server" ( google asymmetric encryption for more info on this).

As HSS-Dave said, it's possible we could miss a new variant. I can assure you though, any Ransomers we miss get top priority, and we update our definitions multiple times daily to stay on top of things.

joem, it sounds like you were testing against a sample we've somehow missed. If that's the case, could you please share?

Source: I work for Malwarebytes

Thanks Josh & Malwarebytes! 

Great to see a developer responding to concerns about his product.

Amen to that.

Also, if it hasn't been said enough: offsite backups

Heck, just backups period ;) Course, as you very well know, I'm huge on offsite backups :)

Well.... Windows Server Backup stores the backups as VHDs on an unmounted volume. What happens if the cryptovirus ..... encrypts these files???? :)

Well.... Windows Server Backup stores the backups as VHDs on an unmounted volume. What happens if the cryptovirus ..... encrypts these files???? :)

Well in that case, you'll need to start buying some Bitcoins!

But all of the current versions of Cryptolocker just target local and remote volumes which have drive letters, so the backup volumes and any remote shares which you access only via UNC paths would be missed by the Trojan.

Also it is looking for files with specific file extensions (.doc, .xls etc,) which currently doesn't include the backup file type as again they should be safe.

Don't give the author any ideas!

Oh I'm sure they are busy keeping a watch on all of the various discussions taking place about this malware - the fact that the best defence against it is a good backup is no secret.

From their point of view however, looking for connected storage devices which don't have a drive letter and/or trying to enumerate and access UNC shares is far harder than simply going through the registry looking at each listed drive letter. While they are doing all that the malware is not doing its main function which is encrypting files and increases the chances of it being detected before it has had a chance to do what it's meant to do. In addition I think it is safe to assume that a company which is making proper backups is also probably going to have some kind of rotation and off-line backup system as well.

From the point of view of the malware writers it probably isn't worth going down that route - fingers crossed!