RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

From Show 91 - Would you use MS SharePoint on your WHS?

jcollison

On show 91, John talked about using SharePoint on WHS. Would you consider using it for all its features?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• diehard

• dvn

• cskenney

• jmwills

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have a known need for it so no. Even if I did, probably not because there is a lot of overhead on it.

If there were a way to integrate the Share Point main portal page with WHS then yes. I do see several issues with combining the two however. By default you would not enable the Guest account in WHS but Share Point is going to require Windows authentication in order to use the site(s).

So, do you create accounts within WHS that SPS can use for authentication and what security issues do that pose for your WHS data???

Secondly, how are you going to access the site from outside your LAN? By default SPS grabs any open port it can find to create the main site (web app). This means you could/would have to open up some obscure port to be able to access the site from the cloud.

Interesting concepts to be sure but these were just a couple of the things that pooped into my head when listening.

I don't have a need at home. Plus, we use it at work and I don't enjoy working with it...to cumbersome.

Guest no-control

I've never used it, so I can't comment on it. Looking up the description I also don't see a need for it in the home...yet! Should that change then yes I would be interested in running it.

Being the curious guy that I am, I wouldn't mind if someone made a blog post (or thread) about its overall purpose. Perhaps outline some of the simpler things you can do with it. It would be cool to hear you guys discuss it on a future podcast, but only if I knew what it's for in advance.

Sharepoint allows collaboration on projects using web tools. At work we create Sharepoint sites called teamrooms. The teamroom has an administrator that decides who has access and their privileges. You can contribute and use content directly from a web browser to the sharepoint site. It's just another way to allow people who work on global teams to share information and have a common area to keep track of the work.

Thanks, cskenney. Do your people find the teamrooms helpful? That is, do they use them? Or are they underutilized?

We are forced to use the teamrooms. I work in an engineering field that has engineers in Scotland, India and China working on the same project. Our normal network shares can not be accessed by all of these locations but the Sharepoint teamrooms can be accessed from anywhere (within our WAN).

I personally like to store my files on a local network share. The local network shares are much faster to access. The teamrooms are hosted in on a server in a remote location so access is usually much, much slower.

To steal a saying from someone we know, "Interesting." :)

Yes, I wondered if this was perhaps a little wanting. I did some poking around and one of the first articles I came across mentioned how IT got Sharepoint all set up but no one was too psyched about using it. That's why I asked.