RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Sirkassad

WD Green Drives in non-RAID NAS

ikon

I used to buy these drives religiously and never had a problem with them. The only reason why I don't any more is that you can no longer modify the firmware to prevent the head parking every few seconds.

You should probably be buying lottery tickets religiously. I've had many problems with WD Greens and haven't bought one in more than  1 1/2 years.

revengineer

You should probably be buying lottery tickets religiously. I've had many problems with WD Greens and haven't bought one in more than 1 1/2 years.

Maybe I should, but perhaps the odds were simply in my favor due to the wdidle firmware modification. Parking the heads every 8 seconds 24/7 just can't be good for the drives in the long run. Who knows...

Edited by revengineer

scruffters

+1 In my experience WDIDLE is no equivalent to TLER, and not designed to be.

Of course you all know that, but for hardware RAID I'd steer clear of the green drives altogether.

As mentioned for ZFS or other older style software implementations you 'should' be fine.

That said if you are really bothered about your data there are better suited drives for the task, better mtbf stats etc.

I too like the RED's, although even they are not qualified by many high end board I've seen to date. That said neither are my Hitachi's w/p222 so... blah! In backup we trust. haha

ikon

I think the Reds are designed for, and best suited for, massive bulk storage. IMHO, they're not designed to be used in fast-response, high-throughput situations, or, at least there are better drives for those situations.

"In backup we trust" <--- very few truer words have been said.

howiez69

I've read you can jumper the Greens to turn of the spin down feature and thereby make them more dependable in a RAID box. Hoping to test it soon with a SansDigital TR5UT that has been running 3(non-green)x1TB in Raid5 and i'm running out of space.

revengineer

I've read you can jumper the Greens to turn of the spin down feature and thereby make them more dependable in a RAID box. Hoping to test it soon with a SansDigital TR5UT that has been running 3(non-green)x1TB in Raid5 and i'm running out of space.

Careful, this is a firmware mod using wdidle not a jumper setting. It works on greens up earx but not with the latest ezrx.
  • Like 1

howiez69

Careful, this is a firmware mod using wdidle not a jumper setting. It works on greens up earx but not with the latest ezrx.

I was not aware, good to know. My brother had pointed me in that direction, he works in IT, i just pretend. Thanks!

ikon

Yes, the jumper, and WDIdle, only work on older models of Green drives.