RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Sirkassad

WD Green Drives in non-RAID NAS

Sirkassad

Hey folks, I have three - 2TB WD Green drives that don't have a home.  They used to be in a Thecus N4100Pro.  Actually they are still there 'physically' but the RAID is gone, due to the nature of the WD green drives.  Not a big deal, as the data wasn't mission critical.  I would however like to re-use the drives in a non-RAID environment and was thinking of populating them in to a HP microserver and running WHS 2011.  

So my question is, if i were to use 3rd party software like drive bender or drive pool and implement folder duplication would I still be vulnerable to the same problem that a RAID configuration has with the green drives?

My end game is to use these three drives in a low-power home micro-server that will allow me to have folder duplication, much like the old windows home server had.  In fact, I still have my LX195 running with four external passport hard drives using folder duplication and it works great.  I'm running out of room and I have these extra 2TB drives so I'd like to use them.  I'm sold on the new HP Proliant with the G2020T processor but wouldn't utilize RAID; I'd be using drive pool or something similar.  Eventually I'll by WD Red drives for my N4100Pro but that's down the road.  My immediate need is to use my current drives with data redundancy.

jmwills

What's wrong with RAID?

Have you looked at a Synology box?

Drashna Jaelre

Other than when a disk fails in an array, the rest of the disks are much more likely to fail as well?
If only because they're likely from the same batch, because they're bought at the same time... and the one failure increases the IO load on the rest of the array?

Sirkassad

What I've been told is that the WD green drives aren't suited for NAS RAID environments.  I don't feel that the drives are faulty, or at least failing as bad as the Thecus would lead me to believe.  One of the four drives that was giving me the most problems was taken out and put in a 2 bay USB enclosure and my desktop computer is perfectly happy with it as external storage.  I've partitioned it into several volumes and have been using it without incident for well over a month.

So my hope is that I can use the other WD green drives in a non-RAID microserver configuration.  I'm just curious if anyone else has used the green drives in a 'pooled' configuration.

I really don't have anything against RAID if done with properly.  In hindsight I probably should have coughed up the extra $$ for WD Red Drives and maybe even a QNAP NAS instead of the Thecus, but now we're talking a lot more $$.  

I also would like to get some experience with WHS and the microservers that HP has been putting out seem really nice.  Can I assume that even though HP Proliant microservers support RAID I'm not obligated to use RAID?  Could I just install WHS 2011 and via 3rd party software implement folder duplication?

oj88

In a nutshell, WD Greens should not be configured for hardware RAID. When you do, these drives, due to a software restriction, would randomly go offline and fall out of the RAID array.

However, they're safe for use with software drive pooling technologies like Drive Bender, Drivepool, or Storage Spaces.

I previously had four 2TB WD Green drives pooled with Drive Bender and everything ran fine for more than a year. I had a couple of disk failures but this was attributed to the WD Greens' overall poor reliability (bad sectors popping up). I have since then added more drives into the pool while retiring a couple of WD Greens. So now, my pool consists of four 3TB WD Reds and two 2TB WD Greens.

Everything's good.

jmwills

Other than when a disk fails in an array, the rest of the disks are much more likely to fail as well?

If only because they're likely from the same batch, because they're bought at the same time... and the one failure increases the IO load on the rest of the array?

Serious?

That's like saying all cars made on the same day have the same default.

Joe_Miner

Hey folks, I have three - 2TB WD Green drives that don't have a home.  They used to be in a Thecus N4100Pro.  Actually they are still there 'physically' but the RAID is gone, due to the nature of the WD green drives.  Not a big deal, as the data wasn't mission critical.  I would however like to re-use the drives in a non-RAID environment and was thinking of populating them in to a HP microserver and running WHS 2011.  

So my question is, if i were to use 3rd party software like drive bender or drive pool and implement folder duplication would I still be vulnerable to the same problem that a RAID configuration has with the green drives?

My end game is to use these three drives in a low-power home micro-server that will allow me to have folder duplication, much like the old windows home server had.  In fact, I still have my LX195 running with four external passport hard drives using folder duplication and it works great.  I'm running out of room and I have these extra 2TB drives so I'd like to use them.  I'm sold on the new HP Proliant with the G2020T processor but wouldn't utilize RAID; I'd be using drive pool or something similar.  Eventually I'll by WD Red drives for my N4100Pro but that's down the road.  My immediate need is to use my current drives with data redundancy.

Personally, I've had no issues with Green drives and have used/using them in Mirrors (RAID1), V1's Drive Extender, and Stablebit DrivePool -- I'd probably be using them more till I took a shine to Seagate ST3000DM001's :).-- check the Drives & Drive performance links section at http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5190-microserver-hardware-links/  and also check postings in http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/forum/31-hard-drives-ssds-controllers/

Drashna Jaelre

Can't blame you, I have 7 of those. I absolutely love them.

But I've avoided WD Greens since pretty much day one. Too many reported issues, especially with the EARS.

Sirkassad

Mine are the EADS, I've heard the same thing about the EARS.

revengineer

But I've avoided WD Greens since pretty much day one. Too many reported issues, especially with the EARS.

I used to buy these drives religiously and never had a problem with them. The only reason why I don't any more is that you can no longer modify the firmware to prevent the head parking every few seconds.

I used to buy these drives religiously and never had a problem with them. The only reason why I don't any more is that you can no longer modify the firmware to prevent the head parking every few seconds.