RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
WireBoy

Asus Transformer Book T100

WireBoy

Hey guys!  What are your thoughts on this Windows 8.1 dockable tablet?  I've always liked the Asus Android series of dockable tablets and feel that they're nicely done.  This T100 comes in 32GB ($350) and 64GB ($400) models, and includes Office Home & Student 2013 and uses a Bay Trail-T Quad Core Z3740 1.33 GHz Processor.

http://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_Transformer_Book_T100/#overview

awraynor

The reviews I have read are good. It is what it is. Not a premium device, but a $350-$400 tablet with keyboard that is certainly serviceable.

http://t.co/MaYkKOqH3G

awraynor

Hey guys!  What are your thoughts on this Windows 8.1 dockable tablet?  I've always liked the Asus Android series of dockable tablets and feel that they're nicely done.  This T100 comes in 32GB ($350) and 64GB ($400) models, and includes Office Home & Student 2013 and uses a Bay Trail-T Quad Core Z3740 1.33 GHz Processor.

http://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_Transformer_Book_T100/#overview

So I ran into Office Depot today and the T100 was sitting on an endcap. My 3 and 5 year old were running around like hyenas, but

the few minutes I used it I have the following thoughts:

1. I don't understand the comments on cheap build quality. The keyboard is solid, the lid is plastic, but not flimsy. Impressed by the build for the money.

2. The keyboard is a little small, but for a table that size that is what you get.

3. The touchpad is a little small, but once again, it's a small device.

4. I didn't appreciate any lag, responsive despite the low specs.

5. The OS drive states 29 GB used, just under 10GB free. I thought this was the 32GB version so those numbers don't add up.

6. The docking mechanism seemed more solid than more expensive devices I've seen, talking about you HP.

Overall, for the money it seemed like a pretty solid device for a tablet with keyboard at this price. I wouldn't want anything this size,

not even a Surface, but if you want a small tablet I would surely look at it.

awraynor

I can't begin to explain how miserable my real life experience was with this unit. The second time I turned it on I had to do a factory reset to get it running. Other times it wouldn't wake up, if it did it entered into

one repair function or another via Windows. It would fail updates from within Windows as well as with the Asus utility. It got caught in a loop between the Start screen and the desktop that required me to do

a shutdown to stop it. It was a refurb unit so maybe it was jinxed to begin with.

The bigger issue is that I didn't pay attention and that the policy for the return of this was for a replacement and not a refund. I mailed it back this morning after two days of use. When the replacement gets here

it will likely go up on E-Bay. When it worked it was more responsive that I expected, but the keyboard was kind of cramped. It would make a decent couch cruiser and Plex machine, but beyond that stay away if

you can't get it real cheap.