RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Backup Restore

Dimitri

Guys, thanks for the discussion in this topic.

I was not aware of this behaviour either until I read this thread. 

I have previously successfully restored from older backups and I do cycle two 2TB disks through the backup process every couple of weeks.

I have just tested on my setup and can confirm it is behaving as Drashna says, ie re-configure the server backup, and it will delete the old backups on the disk and create a new backup, so that you end up up with the oldest backup on that disk drive being the first one created after the re-configuration. In my case, all I had left was a backup from November 12.

Another behaviour, I have now tested is when the backup disk fills up, it re-orgs the backups by deleting and recreating a new full backup, so again, you lose any older server backups on that disk.

Needless to say when I setup my backup originally and tested some recovery scenarios, I didnt pick up either of these two situations.

So back to the drawing board for my server backup scenarios.

PS I do have a second string to my bow, as I do not like to rely on a single technology for backups. I also use Acronis to backup my server disks, but not on a daily basis.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dimitri

• jmwills

• Technogod

• Drashna Jaelre

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think this whole thread is a case in point for testing backups.  Not pointing fingers but a backup that is not tested is worthless.

Posted Images

Drashna Jaelre

As I said, it would be best to run two disks. But if you change config, you need both attached. But it may be worth it, just to make sure that doesn't happen.

Though, I don't use Acronis and never will. It has a long track record of horrible VSS writers.

And this still happens when you do it through the "Windows Server Backup" console, but it seems to be a lot less likely. Also, this is a good reason to have multiple backup drives, and to cycle them out once a week or so. It will prevent stupid stuff like this.

Interesting info. I wasn't aware. And I think "The Server OS resets the Backups when you add new folders which is a normal thing to do" is one of the most absurd statements I've heard in a long time. Why on earth should altering what's included in a backup cause it to ignore or wipe out all previous backups. IMHO, it's ridiculous.

Drashna Jaelre

Interesting info. I wasn't aware. And I think "The Server OS resets the Backups when you add new folders which is a normal thing to do" is one of the most absurd statements I've heard in a long time. Why on earth should altering what's included in a backup cause it to ignore or wipe out all previous backups. IMHO, it's ridiculous.

I agree. So is requiring you to run "wbadmin delete catalog" (and forcing you to wipe out your backup schedule, and unlinking the computer basically (as in it thinks it's a different system/backup set)) to fix half of the Windows Server services not starting right when you move disks around..... ANd then closing the ticket, because I don't have time to test something that I have THOROUGHLY REPRODUCED ON MY PRODUCTION AND DEVELOPMENT MACHINE.  There is a chance I may be bitter here.....