• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dimitri

• jmwills

• Technogod

• Drashna Jaelre

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think this whole thread is a case in point for testing backups.  Not pointing fingers but a backup that is not tested is worthless.

Posted Images

I have added a new server folder and re-setup the backups to include the new folder. This a normal procedure and part of maintaining the server.

By Purging you mean the older backups are gone ,deleted or they still there But not accessible?

Nice question Drashna....I thought something had been changed.   Purged is gone..........

I think this is a valid reason to keep your Server OS backups and Client data backups on separate drives.  Data is data and should never be mixed with OS backups, in my opinion.

Drashna

Your Point is well taken. What I do not understand is when click from the Dashboard, Computers and  Backups, Server, View the Server Properties It shows all the backups done successful from Aug 15 to Today and you believe all is OK.

When you need to restore Files and folders for the server the only available backups are from different dates.

This is critical error for the Server OS. There is NO consistency. You feel that all your files are files are protected but when you actually the protection Not the protection is Not there.  :angry:

Thank you

I think this whole thread is a case in point for testing backups.  Not pointing fingers but a backup that is not tested is worthless.

• Like 1

I am not pointing the finger in any one, I an grateful for every one who has spent time to help me.

I have done back ups and restore for the clients machines and server folders many times with absolutely No problem.

What I did not know is " The Server OS resets the Backups when you add new folders which is a normal think to do" and this is my disappointment with the windows server 2011. Is this behavior of the Windows Server Documented any were? If it is were. 

It was me "Not pointing the finger" :)

Now, since the point about resetting the backups has been brought up, you are indeed creating what is called a new "backup set" in the enterprise world.  And yes, the old files are there, but this OS is not that sophisticated to see two backup sets.  Or at least that is my opinion on it.

No problems with me...just feeling your pain.

Drashna Jaelre

To be blunt, using the dashboard's wizard is a bad idea. I believe every time you change the settings there it just recreates the schedule. Which can cause Windows Server Backup to purge older backups. It's annoying and I'm not sure why it happens. But it does...  It just bit me in the arse. (i had to roll back a month because of some stupid issue with VSS and "ASR writer" and after restoring and setting up backups again, it wiped all the backups on the disks except for the new one).

And that's not the first time it's done that. That's why I asked about re-setting up backups.

And this still happens when you do it through the "Windows Server Backup" console, but it seems to be a lot less likely. Also, this is a good reason to have multiple backup drives, and to cycle them out once a week or so. It will prevent stupid stuff like this.