RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Backup Restore

Dimitri

Windows server 2011

My Setup

Disk 0 1 TB    C: OS D:Server folders and client backups

Disk 1 2 TB E: server folder for videos only

Disk 2 2TB No Letter External drive for system Backups Bare metal.

By Mistake I have deleted photos from the “ D:\ServerFolders\Pictures”

I started the “Restore files or folders for the server” but my surprise Not all backups are available for Restore.

I need to restore from backup Oct 24 2013.

See Picture F11F11.jpg

--------------------

But when I start the restore files or folders for the server the backup date that I need is Not available.See Picture circled items. F22F22.jpg

-----------------------

I the need the photos. I need your help to recover the files.

Your Help it is greatly Appreciated.

Thank You

The backups that has the deleted files is made on Oct 24 2013 and Backwards see Pic F11.

But the backups that are available to restore are from Oct 27 2013 to None 07 2013 see Pic F22 2013.

The server is giving me two conflicting reports one that backups are available from Oct 07 2013 all the way back to June 01 2013 and when actually try to Restore files or folders for the server the days are available are from Oct 27 2013 to Nov 08 2013. Where are the previous backups? How could I access them ? 

How much total data are you backing up to that drive?  Once a drive runs out of space all of the old backups will be deleted automatically as needed.

I understand what you are trying to do, but if the total size of the backup is larger than the available free space, the backup will fail or just not run.

What happens when you run the slider down in that dialogue box?  (there are more backups than what you are showing in F11)

When were these files deleted?

Unfortunately those backups have been deleted. I use Server Backup to backup the Server OS and Client Backups. I keep my data files on my individual computers and back the computers up to the Server. This provides two copies of my data files. I also have an offsite hard drive that I use to backup the Server and Client Backups on a weekly basis. This provides a third copy of my data. I know this doesn't help your current situation but may help in the future. Everybody has a different way of doing this.

Edited by Technogod

HSS Genius

There are more Backs than You on the picture F11.Dates from July 15 To Nov 08, 45 available Dates.

HSS Pro

How you came to the conclusion that the backups are deleted?

If the home server keeps backups for only 2 weeks even though it is set up to keep updates at the default setup what is the point of having the server backup disk and rotating it for safe keep?

I was going by the information you had highlighted in your second image. After further review on my system I've found that information may not be correct. That is a listing of all backups. Whether they exist on the Server Backup or not. Look on the same page below that and you will see a section titled destination usage. Click view details. This is a list of backups on your Server Backup.

My Local Server Backup and Offsite Server Backup disks keep twelve copies or more of my backup before it overwrites the oldest copy. If you need more copies the only way to achieve this is to install a larger hard drive. Maximum size for WHS 2011 Server Backup is 2TB.

Edited by Technogod

HSS Pro

Thank for your answers

My External back drive is 2 TB and my total files to be backup are 1.2 TB.

From the Dashboard " Computers and Backup", Double clicking on each computer client you see all the backups from today to last July successfully done.

Also Double clicking on the Server you see all the backups successfully done from to today to last July. Clicking on each backup the  "View details " you see all drives have been successfully backup. 

That lets me believe that my system works as it was designed and I am fully protected,

When disaster comes and I need to restore files from the external backup drive " Restore Files or Folders for the Server ".I discover that ONLY the backups the last few days are available for restore.

What is the point of having an External drive to save you when disaster hits? This is a fool's paradise.

My Problem is I need a solution how to recover the files from the External drive and it has to be done today because the server will do the usual cleaning at midnight.

Any help it greatly appreciated.