RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Low Power Consumption - 45 W

goofy256

Where do homebuilders post the power consumption statistics? My server just had her first birthday, and she has the Lights Out Add-in and has been plugged in to a Kill-A-Watt. Asleep, 5 W and idling at 45 W. How does that compare to other servers?
The server is a Shuttle KPC K45 with two WD Green 1TB disks, and the 35 W Celeron 430. The power supply is a Pico PSU 120, which is a 12V laptop brick and a motherboard connector.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dvn

• pcdoc

• ttremeth

• goofy256

Top Posters In This Topic

That is about what I get from a core I3 HTPC, and about 15 watts les than my core I3 server with 5 drives.

My Core I3 WHS/SageTV server is about the same as pcdoc's: 60 watts with 5 drives, while actively recording/streaming/transferring files.

My i3-540 system (see sig) running with 2 WD green drives idles at 39 W. If I remember correctly, this is just a couple watts less than my EX495 (see sig) which runs in the low 40's.

ttremeth,
If you have an AMD, I would love to see the comparison. I do not have one anymore otherwise I would post the power draw. Can anyone contribe some AMD numbers?

Guest no-control

I have an AMD 5050e sitting on an AM2+ Mobo w/ 8300 chipset and 4 gb ram. I can't imagine its using much more power than the i3 setup above. It doesn't have near the grunt the intel does. I need to go by a kill-a-watt or something...

Yes the 4050 is an older architecture, Thing to remember is cost too. But I do not have a power meter to test.

AMD? Ok, how 'bout a comparison between a circa 2005 AMD Sempron-based system and a current Intel one? Both are running WHS. I fired them up and let them sit at the login screen for 10 minutes before recording the results.

Kill A Watt readings:

HP SR1500NX - Sempron 3000+ | int. gfx | 1 HDD | 380W Antec PS - 60W @ idle
Home build - i3-540 | int. gfx | 1 WD Green HDD | 550W Antec PS - 33W @ idle