RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

OT: Web hosting recommendations

What are people out there using for web hosting (or used to use and the past tense is for good reason)? This would be for a small business/home/blog use. Actually, not sure of my total use except for email addresses at this time.

Anyone use 1&1? Obviously Go-daddy is a big name but I'm leary.

Let me know! Thanks.
Keith

Yes, I do. THey are fine for basic. The service is good and the pricing reasonable. The supplied tools are a bit crude but they work. Check my website for reference. Overall a pretty good outfit.

Thanks. It looks like you do your blog off-site to a wordpress re-direct. Do they not offer some blogging solution as part of their package?

Keith

Guest no-control

I use GoDaddy for Domain registration as usually its only a $1 or sometyhing for a year.

For Web/eMail hosting I've been using Hostmonster. Great set of tools and decent value. I've heard 1and1 is also pretty good.

I've been using MediaLayer for several years now and they've been rock solid. Cost is just slightly higher than the mass-market options like GoDaddy, but performance and support have been excellent. (My primary use is self-hosted WordPress; I currently have 3 domains and pay a total of $9 per month.)

I've got a bit of experience with hosting companies. I have just gone through an ordeal with two of them.

I'll be nice and say, there is a time and place for some of these shared hosting providers. Simply learn to identify when you need to move on to a bigger and better host.

Lastly, don't forget that "if it costs peanuts, it's probably made by monkeys."

• 1 month later...
roteague

I use DiscountASP.NET. It has all the advanced Windows Server features I require. The rates are reasonable, plus I like the 3 month billing cycle.

I've been using CrystalTech for a while now, and I love it. The pricing is very competetive and you get SmarterMail for free.

I just setup an affiliate link to KnownHost.com where homeservershow is hosted. I personally think they are the best for VPS (Virtual Private Server) hosting.

HomeServerShow.com is hosted by KnownHost.com

If you want to get serious and get your sites off of shared hosting a VPS solution is the way to go. It's amazing on how much you can control in your VPS.

Alvin Ramard

Does anyone here have any experience with WebHost4Life? Their pricing seems very reasonable, especially for SQL Server 2008 and ASP.NET