RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
schoondoggy

HP MS G8 with HP P222-P212-P420 iLo and Health LED

LoneWolf

Yes, confirmation is here:

http://investor.pmcs.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=74533&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1670364&highlight

http://www.networkcomputing.com/data-center/pmc-sierras-second-generation-6gbs-sas-r/229501388

Now, I'd like to get a better understanding of what the PM8020 offers over the PM8011 other than just PCIe 3.0 (and iLO4 support).

LoneWolf

First discovery --the PM8011 used DDR2-800 for cache, and the PM8020 (something I already knew) uses DDR3-1333.

What this means is that the 512MB 40-bit cache on a P222/P420 could theoretically have similar bandwidth to the 1GB 72-bit wide cache from the P212/P410.  The only reason I had originally wanted a larger cache on my new controller wasn't the cache size as much as the interface bandwidth (the 1GB/2GB modules from the new controllers are also 72-bit), so this is definitely interesting.

I know there are some additional tweaks with SSDs in mind (the P212/P420 already had some but the P222/P420 are supposed to be improved) but I'll pass along more information as I can find it.

LoneWolf

Thanks. That's the cheapest I've seen them.

Note:  I got my P222 today.  The bad is, unlike the picture the vendor showed, it did not come with the low-profile bracket.  I immediately e-mailed the vendor, who indicated that it was a mistake, and is going to attempt to find me the bracket, but I get a feeling that none of their P222 stock come with it, even though the picture shows both brackets are included.

I am now in the position of trying to find a low-profile card bracket for my P222 in the event the vendor cannot, and so far, I have not been successful.  With a P420/P410, less issue as there is no external port, but the P222/P212, it's another story.

schoondoggy
LoneWolf

Yeah, I found the Aussie ones, just trying to avoid spending 30 bucks on a small piece of metal.

I'm attempting to work with the vendor first. I will be asking them to modify their picture to not show the low profile bracket.

ikon

Well, let's see if it really was a mistake, or if they say the same thing to everyone who makes an inquiry.

LoneWolf

Did you contact and ask them then, ikon?

I did reply to them and told them they should be pulling the picture or editing it to remove the bracket if it truly was a mistake.  I did get very prompt response to my first email to them, which was on a weekend; I indicated I was withholding feedback until they had a chance to respond to the issue.  They also have a very good reputation as a seller on Amazon.

My compulsiveness is tempting me to get the bracket from AU because I'm big on having things how I want them, but it's a P212 bracket.  Most likely to fit, but 95% isn't as good as 100%.  I also haven't really given the seller enough time to respond, I'm just impatient due to the delivery time from Australia probably being two weeks.

Admittedly, buying the bracket even at that high price would still come out with the controller being $100 cheaper than the next lowest priced P222 I've found anywhere else, but it's a shame the way it was advertised isn't the way it was delivered to me.

Edited by LoneWolf

LoneWolf

Well, my compulsiveness got the better from me, but not so much as to get it from Australia. I found a US vendor with limited stock selling for a reasonable price and ordered today. About 20 shipped for me, but it could be less for others as they charge actual shipping.

If anyone wants to order a half-height P212 bracket and see if it works, PM me and I'll provide their info. This is a difficult to find part, so I might as well save you the legwork. It should take me a week to get it, I'll report if it fits the P222 then.

Edited by LoneWolf

schoondoggy

I will be able to check tomorrow, but I am sure the 212 and the 222 use the same bracket.

LoneWolf

Thankfully, HP even has a part for the low profile P212 bracket:  392510-003 .  As far as I know, there isn't one currently for the P222, but I don't exactly have access to the HP parts catalog (I haven't worked at an HP authorized repair facility in a number of years), but searching didn't turn one up.

It's still far cheaper to get the controller on Amazon and buy the bracket than to buy a controller with it at this point, so I come out ahead in the end.

Edited by LoneWolf