RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
schoondoggy

HP MS G8 with HP P222-P212-P420 iLo and Health LED

llars
On 11/4/2013 at 3:51 PM, schoondoggy said:

I have had a few questions around the MS G8, HP RAID cards and iLo.

Here is the testing I did today;

HP P222 (HP supported RAID controller) in MS G8 with four drive RAID 5. Both B120i and P222 are visible in iLo. Pulled a drive to simulate a failure. iLo recognized failure and the Health LED started flashing amber. Re-inserted drive, iLo reported rebuilding. Health LED flashed amber until array was rebuilt.

Same steps with HP P212. Not recongnized by iLo. No reporting or Health LED. P212 worked fine and recovered properly.

Sames steps with HP P420. Although the P420 is not on the HP support list for the MS G8 it is in the same family as the P222. The P420 worked just like the P222. iLo recognized it. Reporting worked properly and Health LED worked.

Quick question, just got my hands on a gen8 yesterday and I wanted to confirm something. If I am interpreting your post correctly, if I were to install a P420 into my gen8 then I would be able to hot swap a failed drive? My plan is to do one mirror for the OS using a 2.5 bracket (shipped yesterday!) and then two mirrors for storage in the bays.

Side note, have you ever seen the B120i randomly "fail" ? This machine I bought was listed as new and it seems to be as the drives only have 6 hours on them. It's a Xeon with 8gb and 4x1TB HP branded drives. I haven't updated anything yet, I didn't want to get too crazy until I know I won't need to return it. I tried loading 2012R2 with smart array drivers and I saw the array briefly but then it dissapeared. After rebooting the system, the Smart Array software was showing an error on the controller. A hard boot got it to come back but it dropped again in setup. I changed the drives to AHCI and so far everything is running fine. 2012R2 loaded on drive 1 and the other three are built as standalone drives for testing.

schoondoggy
2 hours ago, llars said:

Quick question, just got my hands on a gen8 yesterday and I wanted to confirm something. If I am interpreting your post correctly, if I were to install a P420 into my gen8 then I would be able to hot swap a failed drive? My plan is to do one mirror for the OS using a 2.5 bracket (shipped yesterday!) and then two mirrors for storage in the bays.

Side note, have you ever seen the B120i randomly "fail" ? This machine I bought was listed as new and it seems to be as the drives only have 6 hours on them. It's a Xeon with 8gb and 4x1TB HP branded drives. I haven't updated anything yet, I didn't want to get too crazy until I know I won't need to return it. I tried loading 2012R2 with smart array drivers and I saw the array briefly but then it dissapeared. After rebooting the system, the Smart Array software was showing an error on the controller. A hard boot got it to come back but it dropped again in setup. I changed the drives to AHCI and so far everything is running fine. 2012R2 loaded on drive 1 and the other three are built as standalone drives for testing.

Welcome!

Sorry for the slow shipping on your bracket, I was travelling.

You would be able to swap the failed drive with the P420. What I was getting at in the post was, the P420 and P222 talk to iLO,  so iLO properly configured can tell you whn a drive has failed.

For the B120i it sounds like you may have had a driver issue. I would update the firmware and BIOS to the latest levels. If you use a P420 you could run all six of your drives on it. You could also run the four drive bays on the P420 and run your mirrored boot pair from the B120i.

Which ever way you go, I would setup the boot mirror and load the OS on it with no other drives in the system. Patch and get everything up to date, then set up the other two mirrors.

llars

No worries on the shipping, I haven’t even ordered the OS drives yet. 

Thats pretty much much what I had in mind. There doesn’t seem to be much of a price difference between the P222 and the P420 so I figured I’d run everything on one controller. 

Ill definately update everything thing before I load Windows onto the OS drives. Everything still seems stable with the system. 

nrf

at least a word in the title of the thread matches what you are spamming us about

vgoncalves

Hi all,
I have my gen 8 running esxi 6.5 HP customized edition with b120i,
I'm planning to upgrade my server with a P222.
If I plug the SAS connector from the board to the P222, will esxi detect the P222 and recognize my datastore automatically?

schoondoggy
5 hours ago, vgoncalves said:

Hi all,
I have my gen 8 running esxi 6.5 HP customized edition with b120i,
I'm planning to upgrade my server with a P222.
If I plug the SAS connector from the board to the P222, will esxi detect the P222 and recognize my datastore automatically?

It should. RAID migration from the B120i to P222 is supported. Make sure the firmware on the P222 is up to date, before moving the drives over.

• Like 1