RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Ditch WHS 2011 for 2012 Essentials?

I just streamed Olympus is Falling a few days ago.  It is a Blu-Ray rip and looked great and no buffering or anything like that. I use WD Reds in my SS.

Thank you all. I'll just stick with what I've got now. It's been working for me for a long time. I was just in one of those change for change's sake kind of moods.  :rolleyes:

I have no idea if this applies to you at all, but I discovered an annoying downside to Windows Server 2012 Essentials over Windows Home Server 2011,   I have two young kids, and for years I have been relying on Windows Family Safety to keep most of the nasty stuff out of their computers, however since it is a requirement to use a domain when using Server 2012, you lose Family Safety.  In other words Family Safety settings are switched off on a client PC that is connected to a Server 2012.  I am not very happy about that, but it appears as though there is nothing that can be done about it.

I tried it once for a day or two and found it frustrating! I have an Untangle box and a Chromebook configured with OpenDNS servers for my kid. 

Edited by texasPI

I was not aware that you could avoid joining a domain.  It happened automatically when I installed the connector software on each client PC.  Without wanting to hijack this thread, I do have the following questions:

1. Are there easy instructions for a numpty like me to follow to achieve this?

2. I already have the server setup and functioning well, can you remove the domain requirement without having to rebuild the server?

3. If I remove the domain requirement, can I still use the "connector" software to setup nightly image backups for all my client PCs? 

Should I move these to a separate thread?

1. Yes

2. The server will remain a DC. The clients just won't join it.

3. Yes.

and...no, not necessarily, as it is relevant to this discussion, however it has been discussed to a large degree elsewhere in this forum and others across the interwebs.

I was not aware that you could avoid joining a domain.  It happened automatically when I installed the connector software on each client PC.  Without wanting to hijack this thread, I do have the following questions:

2. I already have the server setup and functioning well, can you remove the domain requirement without having to rebuild the server?

3. If I remove the domain requirement, can I still use the "connector" software to setup nightly image backups for all my client PCs? 

To skip joining the domain during a client deployment

On your client computer, go to Start and search for command prompt "cmd".

In the search results, find cmd.exe and run as administrator.

Type the following command prompt:

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Server\ClientDeployment" /v SkipDomainJoin /t REG_DWORD /d 1

Complete the steps on the Connect Computers to the Server Help topic.

the biggest reason I stick with 2011 is it is sub $50, while 2012 obviously isn't. 

I could buy a synology box for the difference in price.

Joe_Miner

Check this blog post http://homeservershow.com/storage-spaces-performance-in-windows-server-2012-essentials-on-a-hp-n40l-proliant-microserver.html it has links, near the front, to two methods to skip the domain join.............