RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Ditch WHS 2011 for 2012 Essentials?

I'm thinking of doing this. I'm running WHS 2011 and an unRAID server. I'd like to consolidate to one server. Is Storage Spaces ok? My unRAID houses primarily media like Blu-Ray rips and music. Also, I'd be installing onto an HP N40L, is the hardware up to snuff?

IMHO, try to avoid Storage Spaces if at all possible -- too many forum members have had issues of one kind or another with it. One of the biggest issues has been lousy performance.

IMHO, try to avoid Storage Spaces if at all possible -- too many forum members have had issues of one kind or another with it. One of the biggest issues has been lousy performance.

Ok, no biggie. My main issue is that the only role WHS 2011 plays in my home is centralized PC backup. I don't store anything on it, I don't use the remote streaming capabilities, etc. Just PC backups. In recent years I have deprecated the PCs I have in my home to just 2. My main desktop and my HTPC. Both are running Win 7 Ultimate so I'm thinking of just doing backups with their built in tools to my unRAID server but that's not as robust as WHS 2011's backup. In recent years, my main computer has become a Macbook Pro and backing up to WHS 2011 is not an option. 

What I'm trying to say is that my HTPC and desktop do not have critical data on them so I'm questioning whether I'm placing too much value on the ease of backup with WHS 2011 given that fact. Maybe an occasional full disk image backup of each PC stored on unRAID would suffice? I have two older Acronis licenses that I could use on the two PCs in-lieu of Win 7's built in backup features.

I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud. Any thoughts?

I recently went from 2012E back to 2011, it was just too much for my simple needs.

I used Storage Spaces on 2012 and still do on Windows 8. It may benchmark lower, but I

was able to stream movies from it without any problems. 

I still like 2011 as a MyMovies server, but like you, if not for that I could likely get rid

of a homeserver.

I have no idea if this applies to you at all, but I discovered an annoying downside to Windows Server 2012 Essentials over Windows Home Server 2011,   I have two young kids, and for years I have been relying on Windows Family Safety to keep most of the nasty stuff out of their computers, however since it is a requirement to use a domain when using Server 2012, you lose Family Safety.  In other words Family Safety settings are switched off on a client PC that is connected to a Server 2012.  I am not very happy about that, but it appears as though there is nothing that can be done about it.

I have no idea if this applies to you at all, but I discovered an annoying downside to Windows Server 2012 Essentials over Windows Home Server 2011,   I have two young kids, and for years I have been relying on Windows Family Safety to keep most of the nasty stuff out of their computers, however since it is a requirement to use a domain when using Server 2012, you lose Family Safety.  In other words Family Safety settings are switched off on a client PC that is connected to a Server 2012.  I am not very happy about that, but it appears as though there is nothing that can be done about it.

You are aware that you can skip joining the Domain, right?

I have had a good experience with storage spaces as I use it for PC backups and that sort of thing. I run file backups to the server also. Stream movies from the storage spaces, etc.  The lower benchmarks have no issue with what I do.  I have been running the server ever since it was released.  The only thing I don't like are those annoying alerts that the server backup is running low on space.  I believe the alert viewer is very buggy. 

That's great joem. I think, though, the issue is that you have to be careful about what you use SS for. It is interesting that you can stream movies though; are they Blu-Rays?