RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
LoneWolf

Anyone have a picture of an HDD in the Gen8 mounts?

LoneWolf

I got my Gen8 Microserver as an open-box unit; I saved a bundle.  However, I'm trying to make sure I got everything, and that everything is correct (I do have a return policy).

My hard drive mounts have metal inserts held in them with pan-head screws of the Philips variety.  The inserts appear to need to be removed to even add 3.5" hard drives.  I do not see any Torx screws similar to the Gen7 Microserver (and for which the included HP tool is required).  I also looked at the HP user's guide;  mounting hard drives is about the only thing they don't seem to mention; I'm sure they figured we can figure it out on their own, but I just want to confirm my setup is the way it is supposed to be.

Can someone upload a photo or two of how one of the drives looks in its cage?  I'd appreciate it.

scruffters

IMG 0099

Like this?  :ph34r:

• Like 1

Joe_Miner

I got my Gen8 Microserver as an open-box unit; I saved a bundle.  However, I'm trying to make sure I got everything, and that everything is correct (I do have a return policy).

My hard drive mounts have metal inserts held in them with pan-head screws of the Philips variety.  The inserts appear to need to be removed to even add 3.5" hard drives.  I do not see any Torx screws similar to the Gen7 Microserver (and for which the included HP tool is required).  I also looked at the HP user's guide;  mounting hard drives is about the only thing they don't seem to mention; I'm sure they figured we can figure it out on their own, but I just want to confirm my setup is the way it is supposed to be.

Can someone upload a photo or two of how one of the drives looks in its cage?  I'd appreciate it.

The screws for the Drive Mount Caddy should be Torx T-10's and you can use the Service Tool mounted to the Left of the 1st Bay -- see photo circled in red --

gallery_1229_67_253944.jpg

Here's a video I had done (just hadn't gotten around to uploading) that shows the installation of a HDD in the Gen8 after taking it out of a Gen7:

• Like 2

LoneWolf

Thanks, both of you.

Everything is intact for my Gen8.  There are one or two drive caddy screws that someone wasn't quite as nice with the Philips heads as I'd like, but other than that, the server is physically in perfect shape.

Migration from the N54L in my sig is going to be the complicated part.  Until Schoondoggy gets the 2 x2.5 drive bracket finalized (which I'm excited that he's doing)  I'm going to have to back up my server, redo the partitioning of the RAID-5 array, install Server 2012R2 Standard (with the Server Essentials Role) to the Gen8, restore data to the data partition of the RAID-5, and go from there.  I also won't be able to port my 8GB of RAM over most likely, and there is no more eSATA, so I'll need to adjust for that too. 

This will be some interesting work.

Edited by LoneWolf

Joe_Miner

Thanks, both of you.

Everything is intact for my Gen8.  There are one or two drive caddy screws that someone wasn't quite as nice with the Philips heads as I'd like, but other than that, the server is physically in perfect shape.

Migration from the N54L in my sig is going to be the complicated part.  Until Schoondoggy gets the 2 x2.5 drive bracket finalized (which I'm excited that he's doing)  I'm going to have to back up my server, redo the partitioning of the RAID-5 array, install Server 2012R2 Standard (with the Server Essentials Role) to the Gen8, restore data to the data partition of the RAID-5, and go from there.  I also won't be able to port my 8GB of RAM over most likely, and there is no more eSATA, so I'll need to adjust for that too. 

This will be some interesting work.

I'm planning to make a 2x2.5" with a sheet of metal and use a SSD mounting bracket as a hole template to drill my holes for the 2.5" drives mounting then get some angle brackets to mount the plate inside.  With 2.5" drives I would also need to find a small fan like Schoondoggy's to cool the drives or If I went SSD I could probably skip the fan.

You may want to check on your RAM -- it may work -- I'm planning to try moving over my Kingston 16GB ECC that's currently on my N40L -- should work according to the specs.

LoneWolf

I am not using ECC on my N54L as I just didn't need it.  It's a home server, so ECC really isn't a big deal for me; I used two G.Skill Aries PC3-12800 modules that have been great since I built the system.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231548

Just for testing's sake, I did put in two 4GB Samsung PC3-10600 modules from a Lenovo system (probably a desktop) that I got from a buddy, not intending to use them long-term.  The system would boot, but kept rebooting at various points in the POST cycle until it got to 90%, where it routinely rebooted.

This does make me wonder if non-ECC modules might work; I have no reason to believe the Lenovo modules were ECC.  I may indeed try the G.Skill modules just to see what kind of results I get.  I eventually want 16GB, but if these worked, I'd postpone that purchase for a bit.

ikon

From everything people have been saying, the G8 does really require Non-Registered ECC.

psikey

I've tried multiple non ECC and even Registered HP RAM (I had plenty of those) but non worked so ended up buying 16GB in the Kingston ECC which works perfectly.