RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Can't stream Recorded TV ShowsThrough Extenders With Windows Media Center

okhomer

I have been noticing that I have not been able to stream my recodered tv shows from my Windows Server 2012 Essentials shared drives to my extenders.  I can steam shows that are saved to my HTPC just fine.  I did not have this problem when I had WHS v1.  After looking further into it I am guessing it is because my extenders do not have rights to those shared folders.  Does this sound right?  If so how do others make this work.  Thanks.

That sounds like a reasonable starting point. You could try altering the permissions, temporarily, to one of the media folder, giving it even Guest access. That should allow anyone to have access. If that works, then you know it is a permissions issue and we can investigate that angle further.

• 2 weeks later...

That sounds like a reasonable starting point. You could try altering the permissions, temporarily, to one of the media folder, giving it even Guest access. That should allow anyone to have access. If that works, then you know it is a permissions issue and we can investigate that angle further.

Thanks for getting back to me.  I am sorry I am writing this so late.  I have looked and I can't seem to find how to set up guest accounts for that folder?

Add the media center PC to the "Domain Controlles" group in "Active Directory Computers and Users. That will fix the issue.

Add the media center PC to the "Domain Controlles" group in "Active Directory Computers and Users. That will fix the issue.

I am starting to think that Windows Server 2012 Essentals is just out of my league.  I will have to admit that I have no idea what you are talking about.  Maybe I should just look into Home Server 2011. 

Sorry that I wasn't more specific.

And yes, 2012E can take some getting used to.

Specifically, load up "Active Directory Computers and Users" (located in Administrative Tools).  Find the computer in question and drag and drop it into the "Domain Controllers" folder. 

The reason for this is that domain computers have a stricter security requirement, that interfers with Windows Media Center. It's been an issue for a long while that Microsoft apparently has no intention of fixing. However, adding it to the Domain Controllers group gives it the more "authoritative" control over the system and fixes the issue.

Sorry that I wasn't more specific.

And yes, 2012E can take some getting used to.

Specifically, load up "Active Directory Computers and Users" (located in Administrative Tools).  Find the computer in question and drag and drop it into the "Domain Controllers" folder. 

The reason for this is that domain computers have a stricter security requirement, that interfers with Windows Media Center. It's been an issue for a long while that Microsoft apparently has no intention of fixing. However, adding it to the Domain Controllers group gives it the more "authoritative" control over the system and fixes the issue.

Thanks.  I found it.  I will try it later tonight.  Thanks.

If it makes you feel any better... I ran into this same issue with the extenders when I discovered you can use WHSv1 as a domain controller. (it was also funny when the connector software told me I had different on the client than I did on the server..... on a domain account).

It took me a couple of weeks to find that solution, and *I* didn't find it, a friend did. So if that gives you a reference of how long it's been an issue....

Also, after doing this, run "gpupdate /force" on both the server and client. To make sure the change has been "propagated" 

Interesting 'trick' Drashna, although you gotta admit it does seem sort of peculiar to put an Xbox into Domain Controllers :D I didn't even know this was possible.