RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Sluggy

Connecting two separate networks wirelessly

jmwills

If internet is the only thing one of the dishes is used for, you could run the cable and get rid of one of the dishes.  IOW, let one serve both.

Sluggy

If internet is the only thing one of the dishes is used for, you could run the cable and get rid of one of the dishes.  IOW, let one serve both.

We have separate accounts, and each has a quota. No unlimited allowance here in sunny Australia. I've decided to cop out a little and just set up an access point that a media player in their house can pick up. I'll see if I can get them interested in a microserver of some description. Thanks for everyone's comments, that's my pie in the sky moment for this week. :)

Cheers, Chris

ikon

I have some experience in this area.

First, I would opt for the cable route first. I would run some flexible pipe between the houses, under the driveway, and then run some CAT5e cable through it. I would run at least 2 cables, so as to have a backup.

If that's not an option, I would consider something like some of the Ubiquiti gear shown here: http://ubiquitiwarehouse.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=44&products_id=65&osCsid=3e218432cc5b491c818c5a91e2ed4128, http://www.ubnt.com/airmax#nanobridgem. This option should give you performance around 100Mbit between the houses.

If your budget is healthier, I would consider something like this: http://ubiquitiwarehouse.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=49&products_id=197&osCsid=3e218432cc5b491c818c5a91e2ed4128, http://www.ubnt.com/airfiber#airFiberHardware. This option should give you performance in the gigabit range.

Whatever you do, I would merge the 2 networks into 1. Regarding the 2 dishes, simply ensure both houses share the same IP subnet but have 2 gateways; one for you and one for them. Set the computers in each house to use their own gateway.

schoondoggy

As the houses are only 50M apart, as noted above a pair of NanoStations should suffice. Actually, PicoStations may be able to get the job done. 

ikon

They very well might, but I prefer to use dishes. I find them less subject to interference and eavesdropping (not that eavesdropping is an issue in this case, out in the middle of nowhere :) ). Also, I find the more concentrated beam handles inclement weather better.

For the relatively small difference in cost, I think the dishes are a better option.

oj88

While the other guys sort out the best way to connect the two houses, physically or otherwise, I'll tackle the other problem on subnets. WHS Client Backup will only work with client PCs that are on the same subnet as WHS.

The best workaround I can think of is to add a second NIC on your WHS server, assign it a static IP address and bridge that to your in-laws. The IP address on this new NIC should coincide with the subnet your in-laws are using in their home, down to the subnet mask but leaving the Gateway and DNS fields blank.

If you want the longer version why the suggestion above is the best way, read on.

There are two obvious ways to connect the two houses, from a TCP/IP standpoint:

1. Bridged: The two houses should be on the same subnet. If this is satisfied, WHS will be able to see the clients just fine and client backup should run like if your in-laws' PC was inside your own home. The problem here is more of a bit of inconvenience for you. Since both houses have an ISP, modem, router, and DHCP running on the latter, you will have to disable DHCP in your in-laws' router and configure their computers to use static IP addresses (so you can point them to their own gateway). If you don't, everytime they access the internet, it will go through the bridge and use up YOUR bandwidth.

2. Routed: The two house will have different subnets and a router is used in between to allow the two networks to talk. This is fine for accessing files on the server. They just type \\192.168.x.x in Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer), log in, and see the shared folders. However, it will be a challenge to make client backups work, if not impossible. But both houses get to keep DHCP running independently without affecting one or the other.

Edited by oj88
  • Like 1

Sluggy

Hi everyone

I set up an access point at my house and Ma and Pa In-laws are happily watching a movie in their bedroom off my server. I'll deal with a backup system for their PCs later, only needs to be a simple thing. In-laws happy, wife happy, me happy. Result! :lol:

Thanks for all your advice, I didn't want to over-complicate things as I've only got into networking in the last year or so and the in-laws aren't all that tech-savvy. Sometimes the simple solutions are the best!

Cheers and thanks again, Chris

ikon

I'm glad you've got it working, but I am a bit surprised the movie watching is working. From your original description, it sounded like you were planning to use 802.11g (54Mb) routers. These routers only give about 25Mbit of Ethernet throughput at the very maximum, and I expect it would be significantly less at 160 feet (50 meters), especially with a couple of walls in the way. Given that, I wouldn't have expected movie streaming to work all that well. That's why I was suggesting some of the Ubiquiti gear -- it has considerably higher throughput.

In the end, what works, works... and that's a good thing.

Sluggy

Just for giggles, I connected their Win8 laptop to the access point and backed it all up. Initial backup so it took a while but it still worked. The access point (a Netgear WNR2200, so nothing special, not even an external antenna) was only sitting on my patio, so when I mount it properly with a bit more height and 5 or so metres closer to their house things should be even better. As it was, 2 bars out of five inside their house, but 4 outside.

I don't even use WiFi in my house (except for an iPad), so I'm a little surprised as well. 

Cheers, Chris

jmwills

So your folks have to log off their network and onto yours in order to stream?  Sounds right as I set up old routers as AP's to carry the signal through our house.  The router is on CH 6 and the other two AP's are on Channels 1 & 11