RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HighPoint 2720SGL Wake Fail on Asus X79 Deluxe

jcope11

I upgraded my system to the Asus X79 Deluxe mobo, Intel 4930K, and Win 8.1. Now when my HighPoint RocketRAID 2720SGL wakes from sleep, my RAID 5 array with 4 WD enterprise drives fail.  However, my RAID 0 array using 2 Corsair Neutron GTX's wake just fine.  Both arrays are on the same adapter.  Any ideas why the SSD array works but the HDD array fails?

Thanks,

-- Joe

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pcdoc

• ikon

• schoondoggy

• jcope11

Just a guess, but if the drives are not ready when the controller BIOS/driver restarts the RAID set will not be recognized. SSD's are almost instant on. Have you tried re-scanning the drives after the restart is complete?

Did this work before you upgraded? What was the previous configuration?

Sleep worked fine on the previous motherboard, an ASUS P8Z77.  I like sleep because it saves all my work.

I upgraded to the latest firmware, v.1.5.  No improvment.

When I rescan the drives the alarm clears, but 2 of the 4 drives are not detected.  When I reboot, my RAID 5 array is back up and running.

Thanks,

-- Joe

I was running Windows 7 on the old motherboard.  Two things changed, (1) new Asus x79 motherboard, and (2) Windows 8.1. 

I played with all the CPU C states in the motherboard BIOS settings.  It didnt' make a difference. 

It appears that when the system wakes up from sleep, the Highpoint RocketRAID 2720 adapter won't tell Windows 8.1 to wait a couple seconds.  I think Windows 8.1 is waking up too fast.

Anybody else having issues resuming Windows 8.1 from sleep?  If not, then there's an issue with my ASUS x79-Deluxe Motherboard.

Thanks,

-- Joe

This is a different OS, but same issue:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-hardware-discussion/93867-rocketraid-2720sgl-sleep-fail.html

Have to wonder if there are settings you can change in registry of Win 8.1?

I did not realize Sleep replaced Standby and Hibernate;

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/what-happened-to-standby-and-hibernate

Edited by schoondoggy

Thanks Schoondoggy for the hibernate recommendation.  Hibernate works beautifully!  It takes all of 2 seconds to shutdown the machine and 22 seconds from the time I hit the power button on the case to a fully usable desktop where all my previous work is restored.  Sleep would be even faster but when sleep doesn't work hibernate is the next best thing.

Hopefully either Highpoint, Asus, or Microsoft will find a fix as to why wake from sleep doesn't recognize my spindle drives.

Many thanks,

-- Joe

I think Hibernate is a better option anyway, or at least it's a safer one. MS says Sleep saves all your work to memory. Sorry, but that's not my definition of 'save'. Memory is volatile. How can storing anything in memory be called 'saving'?

Hibernate saves everything to disk: i.e. to a non-volatile medium. That's what I call 'saving'. IOW, even if all power was lost, the data would still be on the disk.

It may take a little longer to come out of Hibernate but, if you're the type of person who tends to leave documents and such open on your system, I think it's the better way. Besides, it actually works ;)