RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Server 2012 Essentials R2 downgrade to WHS2011 - drivepool question

Pete

Hopefully Drashna will weigh in here. I think it's supported. Drive pool for 2012R2E is at version 2.? while WHS & SBSE are at 1.3.? IIRC there is a tool you could run to clean things up.

I have WHS2011 already installed and working on a SSD.  I was trying out S2012R2-E on another SSD, and I really like it, except for the server backup not working.  I like the idea of having a domain controller, I can centralize users, redirect their home folders.  WHS2011 is just and update to HomeServer v1, is it not?  and even though I can create users like in v1, there is no domain controller, and no folder re-direction.

Plus, I haven't played with SBS2011E.  I know its built off of Server 2008R2, like WHS2011 is built off Server 2008.  I may play with S2012E (non-R2) and see if it is more stable than R2 and server backups work.  If it does, then I'll use that.  I like the 2012 interface, now that I've been playing with it for a while.  The 2008 (and below) interface is "old school".  It works, but I'm liking the 2012 GUI better.

Edited by PJW

Hopefully Drashna will weigh in here. I think it's supported. Drive pool for 2012R2E is at version 2.? while WHS & SBSE are at 1.3.? IIRC there is a tool you could run to clean things up.

Yes, the pool will "survive".  Just deactivate the license, reinstall the OS and DrivePool, and then reactivate the license. It will immediately see the old pool.

You will want to download the WSS troubleshooter util, and run both the "Reset NTFS Permssions on the Pool" option, and the "Rebuild DrivePool Shares" (meant for just this).

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Utilities

DrivePool 1.x is meant for WHS, however, 2.x works any any version of Windows except for XP (and embedded), and the server core versions (except R2, which it runs fine on).