RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WS2012e Client Backup Issues

Coop85

Hello all, 

I've been a long time lurker who's learned a lot from the forums and podcast, but I still have a long way to go!

I'm currently running a WSE2012e box with Stablebit DrivePool + Scanner.  The OS is on an SSD and the Pool is 30TB (6TB free) over 15 drives. I upgraded the server from WHSv1 to WSE2012e+DrivePool back in April with no problems and enjoyed trouble-free operation until sometime in September.  I have 4 client computers that I backup to the server including 3 Windows 7 Pros and 1 Windows 8 Pro. 

I started getting the "Errors exist in a client computer backup" error in September.  Once the repair finished (over 24 hours), it would come back after the backups ran.  I ran CHKDSK /r /f on all client drives with no problems reported.  To troubleshoot, I removed the client backup database.  I then added the clients back, one at a time.  The first three clients all played nicely with error-free backups, night after night.  Once I added the fourth machine, a Windows 7 Pro video editing station, the database error came back.  I repaired the database and it came right back.

Any ideas what could be causing this one client to do this?

Thanks for your help.

Well, if one of the disks in the pool goes offline, this could happen. Namely because it sets the pool to an read only mode when this happens. And it stays that way till the disk is replaced or till it is removed.

If that wasn't the case, then unfortunately you've hit an extremely rare issue that we (CoveCube) haven't been able to properly track yet. 

If you wouldn't mind setting up tracing logs, so we can see exactly what is happening:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

Well, if one of the disks in the pool goes offline, this could happen. Namely because it sets the pool to an read only mode when this happens. And it stays that way till the disk is replaced or till it is removed.

If that wasn't the case, then unfortunately you've hit an extremely rare issue that we (CoveCube) haven't been able to properly track yet.

If you wouldn't mind setting up tracing logs, so we can see exactly what is happening:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

Thanks, I'll set up the trace logs tomorrow.

Drashna, do you really think this is DP related? It sounds to me more like there's an issue with the Win7 Video Editing station.

Coop85, what would be really interesting to try are 2 things:

1. if you haven't already, try a manual backup of only the Win 7 Pro Video Editing computer.
  2. if that fails, once again remove the Client Backup Database, but this time add back only  Win7 Pro Video Editing computer, then try a manual backup.

I am suspicious you have an issue with that Win 7 computer that has yet to be tracked down.

Thanks both for your help.  I removed the Client Backup Database, but now I'm having issues with Server Backup.  I'm re-installing the OS and we'll see how it goes from there.  

It's definitely possible. But there have been been a couple of reports of similar issues on DrivePool, which is why I was interested in it. 

But given the issue with the server backup as well, yeah I think it may be a bad disk.

He's running Scanner, so I'm guessing there are no SMART issues.

running "chkdsk /r /scan" on each drive may be prudent. (this will scan for bad sectors while keeping the disk online, which is freaking awesome)

• 2 weeks later...

After re-installing the OS, I only added the suspect Win 7 Pro video machine and manually backed it up.  After a week of automatic backups (and consistency checks) I've added the other machines and so far everything appears fine.  I hate not knowing what the problem was, but I like having backups :)

I will go ahead and run CHKDSK on the pool drives and see if there's an underlying problem there.

Thanks everyone for your help.